1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pause Ad Redeux

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ustavio, May 6, 2014.

1. ustavio

ustavio New Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Has anyone else noticed that the pause ads have changed in appearance and, perhaps, content? The big clunky rectangle that obscured the lower 34.7% of my screen has been replaced by a thinner strip that runs the length of the pause bar. It is far less intrusive and annoying than the previous monstrosity. Design wise it doesn't scream in your face "Look at me.....Now....because we hate you". The new one is more like "hey, I'm here, just in case, you know, you wanna check me out, just sayin'" in presentation. Also, as far as content, the showcase ads linked to are not videos but (so far) just textual. SPSPS doesn't work on text to my knowledge.

The new approach doesn't drive me up the wall like the previous one did. Although I'm still not enamored with ads popping up every single time I pause, if I must live with them, this is a vast improvement IMHO.

I just noticed these things in the last day or two but I got the latest software update very early on, so I'm not sure how or when the change occurred.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I barely noticed since I use the SPSPS backdoor that hides pause ads quickly, but yes it looks more like the original SDUI version now from the brief instant I've seen it.

3. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Just looked... I'm seeing both versions right now. Maybe they are doing A/B testing.

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Just noticed it for the first time tonight. I watch too much TiVo, so I'm guessing it just started today for me.

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I saw this a few days ago. I assumed this came with the spring update.

6. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    What is strange is that the new Pause Ad has the old style yellow wiener outline, that the Roamio UI no longer uses?

7. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It's a mixed bag for me looks like. Some shows show the SDUI skinny version, some the horribly big HDUI monstrosity that even though only shows for a split second bothers me.

8. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Maybe they're A/B testing. Or maybe one is cheaper for advertisers than another or specific to a certain kind of promotion.

9. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've only seen the skinny one on mine, and I've seen several promotions cycle through it (24 on FOX, Charmin, and 1800Flowers, I believe, along with a TiVo promotion of some sort).