1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pairing...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Davelnlr_, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    I have a TivoHD unit in a spare bedroom, and have it paired to Comcast (Xfinity) for cable. I was thinking of adding it to my main viewing room with my Premier XL4, but hooking up a TV antenna to it for some of the local subchannels.

Its been so long since Ive changed anything I have a couple questions:

1: Can I tune cable and antenna at the same time with the TivoHD, or just one or the other like the base Roamio?
    2: If I can tune either antenna or cable, will rerunning guided setup to add in the antenna cause me to lose the pairing on the cablecard?
    3: If I cannot tune both at the same time, will rerunning guided setup to switch from cable to antenna erase the pairing on the cablecard should I want to switch back to the cable?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but between DirecTv and the newer Tivos, Ive totally forgotten about the TivoHD.

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Hook the OTA antenna to the antenna input of the TCD652160.

Go into Messages and Settings, Settings, Channels, and select Channel Scan.

It should find whatever OTA channels you can get on that antenna without messing up your already set up cable channels.

Those channels should get automatically added to the guide data, but you can go into Channel List instead of Channel Scan to edit the list.

In fact, check the list first, TiVo probably already included the OTA channels it thinks your ZIP Code should get, they just aren't "checked" in the list to make them show up.

3. worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    You can get both cable and OTA but you need to re-do guided setup to get the proper guide data for both. Select "cable and antenna" when you re-do guided setup.

I think the only way you lose the cable card paring is if you do a Clear and Delete.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm not convinced re-running Guided Setup is necessary, having just before writing my previous post in this thread hooked an OTA antenna to the antenna input of an S3 that was just on analog cable and running channel scan again so that I could record a particular basketball game only available to us via an OTA channel, and when the scan was done and I went into the list and checked the channel to add it, there was the game in the guide for me to click on and set up the recording.

GS should always be done as a very, very last resort, no matter what the problem is.