1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pairing old DVR Expander with new Premiere 4

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by pezlion, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pezlion

pezlion New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    I just upgraded my dead Tivo HD with a Premiere 4. I have been using a WD DVR Expander for a few years now and wanted to move it to my new Premiere 4. I transferred the shows I could from the old box to the new, and now I have unhooked the DVR Expander. I read that all I should have to do is hook it up to the Premiere, and it should recognize it and format it, but that didn't work. Is there something else I need to do to clear off the DVR Expander and have the new Tivo format and recognize it? Suggestions much appreciated.

BTW, I read about a kickstart 54, but couldn't get it to work. If I am able to get the kickstart to work, will that remove the recordings I transferred to the new Premiere? Thanks for the help.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds like the problem might be that you didn't go through the steps to divorce the external drive from the old Tivo before you removed it.

You should hook that external to a PC (you might need an adapter) and run the WD diagnostic long test on it.
    If if tests OK, erase it so that it won't have Tivo stuff on it anymore and then try to add it to the new Premiere.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Question- have you booted up your HD since the Expander has been removed? There have been reports of bad tivos when in the end a bad Expander (either the drive, the case, or the cable) was the actual culprit.

4. pezlion

pezlion New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    I have not booted up the old hd, nor did I do anything before unplugging the expander. I did not realize there was an ump airing process. You think if I am able to reattach everything I could unpaid from the old box and then repair to the new?

5. pezlion

pezlion New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Can this be done with a Mac? I no longer have a PC.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    On a Mac you can open up Disk Utility (in your Utilities folder) and format the drive there. I believe the WD drive has a mini USB port on it, so you'll need a USB cable if you don't have eSATA on your Mac.

7. pezlion

pezlion New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Thanks for the info. I just got home and, unfortunately, WD drive has no output other than eSATA and Mac has no inputs other than USB. Not sure what to do at this point.

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    There are only three ways without opening the WD case: Get a USB to eSATA adapter for the Mac, hook it up to a computer with eSATA, or get an eSATA to internal SATA cable and plug it into the internal SATA port on a computer.

9. Big Cab Daddy

Big Cab Daddy New Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Seems to me that you must have an expander issue because after the initial warning message, it should reformat after connection to the new tivo just as you expected in the first place.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I did this exact same thing with my Wife's new Premiere and a DVR expander from her S3. As soon as I plugged it in it warned me that it was paired to another TiVo but offer the option to pair it to this TiVo with the consequence of losing everything on the drive. I hit OK and it paired to the Premiere no problem.

Are you sure you're old "dead" HD wasn't "dead" because of the expander?

Dan

11. pezlion

pezlion New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    You know, I never thought of that. Maybe that was the problem with the old TiVo. Sucks cuz I didn't spend the money on an XL because I figured I could just reuse the expander drive. Now i'm stuck with a tiny hard drive.

12. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    If you just bought the Tivo, return it under the 30 day return policy and get an XL. Or buy a preformatted large drive for your tivo and install it.