1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overheated

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Lou n., Sep 2, 2012.

1. Lou n.

Lou n. New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    I have an RCA DVR80 it was in a very dusty aera and has been unplugged now for 3 months it has an error maeeage " the internal tempeture was to high The system has been shut down to avoid damage to the hardware" I have unplugged and pluged several times with no luck. Is this unit dead?

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Probably not. When does it show the error?

3. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    You may have answered your own question with the dust. I suspect you have large dust bunnies inside the TiVo. What other symptoms do you have?

Nothing appears on the screen when plugged in?

"Powering, Please Wait" stays on the screen forever?

"Almost there" appears?

Does the fan in the back move air? It could be clogged up with dust.

If it was me, I would open up the unit and remove as much of the dust as possible. I would use a compressed air can, outside of course, and blow all the dust out of the unit. Also, I would check that the fan was clear of dust and the fan actually works.

Try that and report back with more info.

Hope that helps,
    robomeister

4. Lou n.

Lou n. New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Opened case it was full of dust.... Clean it put back together powered it up,please wait comes on then almost there. Then "the internal tempeture was to high The system has been shut down to avoid damage to the hardware to reset unplug for 15 seconds and replug. On a blue screen that message stays there for ever I have done this several times

5. Lou n.

Lou n. New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    p.s after cleaning the fan it works nice and quite and I can feel air flow all around the box opening

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Perhaps you managed to cook the hard drive somewhat so that it isn't booting properly, and therefore the high-temp warning hasn't been dealt with and the motherboard properly re-set.

That's just a guess based on a guess of how the TiVo might have been designed to work, but you really should take the hard drive out and test it with the manufacturer's diagnostic software, and you should read up on "capacitor plague" and examine the power supply carefully once you know what to look for.

There's no rule that says you can't experience more than one problem simultaneously on a TiVo.