1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of Network Streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Rangers4me, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Rangers4me

Rangers4me The One and Only

May 18, 2001
    I am on the road and am trying to stream both live TV and recorded shows from my Roamio Pro to my iPhone. Every channel or recording I try to stream gives the message - "Away From Home Network: While you're away from your home network, some options are not available."

I thought "Sling" like functionality was part of this?

2. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    I think it's "Coming soon"

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    According to an interview the CEO gave during the Roamio launch it's coming "this Fall".

4. Envy2

Envy2 New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Remote streaming from my Roamio Plus to my iPad works using a VPN already, even over LTE.

There's no technical issue preventing this from working today, but for whatever reason TiVo has delayed it. Likely they want to implement their own dynamic DNS service rather than relying on users to do so themselves and thus disabled the feature.

Using a VPN also gets around similar artificial restrictions in other software, such as the TWC TV app.

5. fungflex

fungflex New Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Would you mind explaining your VPN solution a little bit? Was strongly considering setting something up in my home as well so I could accomplish this very thing and saw on the forum mixed results.

Thanks!

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's my understanding that you can't get a functional VPN connection unless you jail break your iOS device. So this is not really a viable solution for most people.

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    My VPN solution requires OpenVPN, which is only available on jailbroken iOS devices. That being said, it technically works but since it relies on good upstream bandwidth, it wasn't actually usable for me.

8. fungflex

fungflex New Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Shame. I have a very solid upstream speed (25+) from FIOS, but as an active iOS developer all my devices are on iOS 7 and therefore cannot be jailbroken.

9. jscozz

jscozz New Member

Sep 28, 2002
    Hmmm... iOS 7 support per app vpn connectivity... but I can't find any info on how it works. I'd be curios if this would allow you to connect to home vpn whenever you run tivo app.

10. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    It would only work if the VPN client in iOS supports features like Bonjour forwarding. The current VPN software in iOS doesn't, which is why I had to use OpenVPN.