1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of home streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by Dan203, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Apparently as part of the new Series 5 release they are ulgrading the Stream to support out of hime streaming. So now you can watch shows on the road like a Slingbox. :up: No word on exactly when this feature will be available, but several of the reviews of the new S5 mention it's coming and Engadget mentioned using it with a Stream and not just the internal Stream of the new box.

This will be great for those that travel a lot or who have an MSO that makes excessive use of the CCI bit.

2. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009

After the speed improvements, this is the biggest feature for the new Tivo Series 5. It definitely keeps at bay my interest in switching to Dish for their Slingbox style remote viewing. Hopefully this new feature will be available soon.

3. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    I see the term "coming soon" used in a few places Dan. That scares me. DTA on the Mini was "coming soon" too.

4. Das Achteck

Das Achteck Member

Mar 8, 2005
    From the press release:

Coming very soon, out-of-home streaming will allow subscribers to stream TV and recorded shows to your iPad® or iPhone®. The built-in TiVo Stream feature allows users to connect to their Roamio over Wi-Fi and watch recordings and cable channels almost ANYWHERE.**

** Streaming is restricted to a limited number of devices owned by the TiVo subscriber. Due to content provider restrictions, not all content can be streamed out of home and some content may only be streamed while a mobile device is on the same local network as the subscriber's DVR. Mobile devices sold separately.

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    And according to a tweet from Margret DTA is available today for Mini users with a Roamio. I don't think we'll see it on the Premiere until the next software update though, which is probably a few weeks out.

6. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Once DTA is available, will we be able to use a mini with a 2 tuner model?

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Ugh, so that means I basically wouldn't be able to stream anything outside of my home thanks to Brighthouse's liberal application of the CCI flag. :(

8. button1066

button1066 New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Presumably the out of home streaming will involve lower resolutions and bit rates than the two options currently available especially since 3G/4G is supported. The out of home aspect came out of the blue for me and is something I'll be using for sure.

9. Das Achteck

Das Achteck Member

Mar 8, 2005
    This does not look promising.

https://tivo.com/shop/mini

"TiVo Roamio DVRs allow for dynamic tuner allocation, so the tuner is only used when the Mini needs it and is released back to the DVR for use when the TiVo Mini isn’t in use. TiVo Premiere DVRs do NOT support dynamic tuner allocation, so any Mini connected to a Premiere is allocated a constantly dedicated tuner and therefore reduces the tuners available for the Premiere DVR."

10. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I'm also with Bright House and I'm hoping that we will be able to stream copy protected content out of network or else It would severely cripple this feature. I wish TiVo was more clear about what exactly we can stream away from home...

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They promised DTA for Premieres long ago. If they back out now they're going to have a lot of p*ssed off customers. I'm betting it part of the Fall update.

12. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Do we have any idea on how this is actually going to work? Will it require UPnP on the router? With all the "hoops" I had to jump through to get the TiVo app to think it was on my home network and properly route Bonour traffic with OpenVPN, I'm curious as to how this will "just work" for the average home user.

13. Das Achteck

Das Achteck Member

Mar 8, 2005
    According to the WSJ review, that would be October or November for out of home going live so presumably we will know then about DTA for the Premiere.

14. severe

severe New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    As both a Premiere and Slingbox owner, this feature is one I've been most interested in. Consolidating the features would remove the Slingbox from the tangled mess that is my entertainment center.

However, I'd like to know the quality of the streams. Also, the Slingbox enables one to stream to their mobile devices and through a browser window on a computer, which really makes it convenient for almost anywhere you may want to view your TV remotely. And with no application to download. Just sign-in, on a supported browser (Safari, Firefox, or Chrome), and view.

What are the odds TiVo will include browser viewing?

15. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I keep saying this, maybe just so I will believe it myslef - But, I think TiVo has an updated TiVo desktop in mind for the PC market that will support the stream.

I have a couple of reasons for believing this - One small clue is the simple image on their whole home service advertisement.

[​IMG]

But, this is just a rumor, that I am trying to start! :)

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    At the Cable Show in June they showed a complete TiVo UI running in a browser, with the ability to play shows. It was for some Charter CloudTV thing, but if they release that for retail users then it would open up streaming to any device with a browser.

17. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    If streaming works on any device with a browser, then android support is partially there. They just need to get the download piece.

18. severe

severe New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Nice. Thank you.

Looking forward to the official roll out and reading reports on stream quality.

19. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Roamio has 3 models. The low end model does not have Stream built in, it is an option.

This says 2 things to me:

1. Tivo will not abandon Stream, there will have to be future support because they need it for Roamio.

2. If Roamio has "remote streaming" (i.e. outside of your local network) and some models of Roamio require stream, there is a possibility that the functionality *could* come to premiere on Stream as well.

Interesting times ahead.

20. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    For ANY TiVo, I personally would not expect a total slingbox like feature for live TV OUTSIDE the home anytime soon. ALL cable companies still do not allow this & I suspect they won't allow a TiVo to allow it either.

Maybe streaming recorded material outside the home is more likely, but I would not count on live streaming outside the home.

And I HIGHLY doubt this will happen either.