1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our P4 got sick and passed out receiving cable!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by igirl, Feb 11, 2013.

1. igirl

igirl Tivo and EyeTV User

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    RESOLVED BUT POSTING AS A FYI

This is very strange, but over a period of time our P4 started losing reception on channels - I didn't notice until my husband complained - as he's the one that watches offbeat channels.

Yesterday it got a lot worse and a tons of channels we're saying "no signal" so we contacted the cable support people.

Our setup -

BrightHouse standard cable
    Tuning adapter
    P4 w/cablecard

We were watching something on our AppleTV via network (not Tivo), then something on YouTube via Tivo - then that video froze. At that point we were not receiving ANY cable channels.

I reset the Tuning Adapter a couple of times - no help there
    Figuring it was fault with the cable company I went to watch a recorded Tivo show - and nothing would play.
    The Tivo had to be unplugged.

That cleared it up!

The advanced level tech from Brighthouse said that Tivos need to be shut down every week or so to clear them out. I don't know about that - but in this case, for whatever reason, ours died a slow temporary death until it was power cycled.

Strange.

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Your "advanced level tech" is an idiot or a liar. There is no such requirement.

3. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ

I have had multiple occurrences of of this symptom.

Two of the times it occurred I could not play recorded videos and the SD menu backgrounds were also black. Indicating to me that this time the mpeg decoder or disk playback system had crashed.

Losing all channels - Tivo Premiere

This is a random bug that Tivo does not know how to fix yet.

You can PM tivosupport_kaitlyn to register the bug with tivo.
    (so they don't keep saying that it only occurs for a couple of people)