1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other ways to stream...

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ronnieko, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ronnieko

ronnieko New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Right now I stream from a server PC to my TiVo and/or PS3. (All gigabit wired) I stream HD video M2T files, SD video MPG files, and MP3 files. With the PS3 I use TVersty, which is -OK- but REAL confusing to get around. I wish it had a more user friendly way around. MP3 files to my Series 3 TiVo, works ok...

SO, my question is, would there be an advantage getting a Roku/WD/Sony or any kind of streaming box. In order to find an easier way to get around, meaning easier interface, thumbnails for videos like you see demo's of Roku...

OR!!!

Would I be just waisting money, and better off continuing using the PS3, and the TiVo?

Maybe something different than TVersity? Also looking at "Plexapp"

Any opinions??

Thanx

2. rfryar

rfryar My Media, My Way

Feb 15, 2008
    Cottage...
    I have all my shows on a media server and have Plex Media Server. It works brilliantly and has a native app for Roku as well as other devices. You should give it a try.

Rick

3. ronnieko

ronnieko New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    I tried Plex, seems like it can be nice. But most of my videos are chopy... Can you go into more details, like, this media server, is it a PC? XP or Win7, speed? Do you run HiDef video, if so, what format?

Thanx

4. tbearski

tbearski New Member

Apr 22, 2006
    I also use Plex Media and Tivo to Go with DVD Catalyst....So my shows go from Tivo to Go to DVD Cat and then sent to Plex on laptop (all wireless)and I can watch everything on my Roku, Cell phone, tablet or PC!