1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA on Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by troasti, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Jan 1, 2014 #1 of 27
    troasti

troasti New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I currently have two 2 tuner premieres I use to record OTA. I have a decent setup with a rooftop antenna and preamp that seems to work pretty well. I also have a roku for streaming prime, netflix, hulu plus etc. My question is is there a reason to upgrade to a roamio? Only the basic does OTA from what I have read. It seems I would just gain another two tuners and some speed with the UI and apps? Not sure I care about the apps as like I said I have a roku 3 which works really well. Can anyone whose gone from a premiere to a Roamio for OTA chime in on why they did it what their experience is?
    Thanks and Happy New Year!

2. Jan 1, 2014 #2 of 27
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I think you'll find that most people upgraded for the speed, others just because they had to have the latest model.

If you're perfectly happy with the Premiere, I see no reason to upgrade as the Premiere is still getting software updates.

3. Jan 1, 2014 #3 of 27
    stujac

stujac Member

Jan 26, 2002
    You don't say whether the 2 Premiers are lifetime subs or monthly. If they are lifetime you can sell both and replace them with 1 4 tuner Roamio Basic. You did know they are 4 tuners in the Basic model, right? I replaced a Premier with the Basic (dropped a 2 tb drive in it first). I will sell the Premier for about $245 or something to help off set the cost of the Basic w/lifetime. BTW-once you get used to the Basic it's very difficult to go back to any other Tivo. It's that good, that much better.

4. Jan 1, 2014 #4 of 27
    troasti

troasti New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    They are both monthly. So in theory I would gain 4 more tuners between both of them. Premiere 2X2 = 4 tuners and Roamio Basic 4X2 = 8 tuners. Not sure I really need 8 tuners. I guess I could add a mini on the second tv and only have one roamio same amount of tuners and save a small amount of cash. When you say "It's that good, that much better." can you be more specific? Its a big chunk of change to upgrade especially if I purchased two.

5. Jan 1, 2014 #5 of 27
    spaldingclan

spaldingclan Member

Aug 22, 2012
    the only diff I can see is the my Roamio basic doesnt pull in the local PBS station as well as my Premier did

6. Jan 1, 2014 #6 of 27
    troasti

troasti New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    So the tuner is not quite as good? Regret the purchase?

7. Jan 1, 2014 #7 of 27
    stujac

stujac Member

Jan 26, 2002
    In my opinion it does everything better than any previous generation. I started with the old Sony SVR (Series 1), skipped Series 2 & 3 and got back in with the TivoHD and then the Premier. The menus, the lag time, just about every function of the dvr is better, faster with the Roamio. It has a faster processor. It's flat-out better than any previous model Tivo.

8. Jan 1, 2014 #8 of 27
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I currently have a Roamio, Premiere, TiVo HD, Orginial Series 3, & HTPC with HDHomeRun tuner all used for OTA.

I have always had issues with the Premieres OTA receiption which is why I retained both the TiVo HD & Series 3, and why I purchased the HDHomeRun tuner for my HTPC (the HDHomeRun does not work any better for me than the Premiere) and my Roamio.

If my Premiere didn't have reception issues I would likely not have upgraded. That aside the Roamio is really much nicer than everything else I have and it's tuners are the best I have. Regarding streaming while the Roamio's performance is much better than the Premiere, it still lacks access to way to many sites to fully replace a Roku, however Hulu+ does work fine on the Roamio.

Given that your Premiere units don't have lifetime if you have $150 you can spare I would buy a base Roamio and replace one of them, I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much nicer it is to use than the Premiere.

After you get a Roamio TiVo may offer you a lifetime service retention deal ($99) on one or both of your Premiere units (assuming you have had them for awhile) which would be a good (and cheap) way to go to cover multiple TVs

Good Luck,

9. Jan 2, 2014 #9 of 27
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I didn't even consider this when I made my post above.
    Buy a basic Roamio through a retail establishment and call TiVo to transfer one of the Premiere's monthly sub over to it. You're only out the cost of the Roamio, and you'll have a extra Premiere to use for spare parts on the one that is still subbed.
    If for some reason Tivo won't allow transferring the sub, you can just return the Roamio back to where you bought it from, and you're out nothing but your time.
    As for TiVo's lifetime retention deal for older hardware: If TiVo doesn't offer it, ask.

10. mdm08033

mdm08033 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Haddonfield,...
    Thats what I did. Tivo said I could transfer my $10 per month OTA programming fee to a Roamio. My kids love the new Neflix interface and the reception is slightly better on my troublesome CBS 3-1 out of Philadelphia. We still use the Roku for Amazon Prime, HBO Go and PBS but I am hoping that TiVo eventually adds my Roku channels but I'm not holding my breath.

11. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    I find that the two Roamio basic I bought, each OTA on a different antenna, have better tuners than my Premiere XL, which had crap tuners, and TiVo HD, which was very good.

The numbers displayed on the signal strength indicator are lower, but all of the channels which were marginal on my Premiere XL are flawless on the Roamio. No more intermittent sync loss on low power stations.

My previous TiVo units have been eBayed.

As far as an OTA DVR is concerned, my search for the Holy Grail of TV watching is over.

The Roamio is a truly excellent DVR, except for the pathetic Amazon app.

12. troasti

troasti New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    How did you get a 10$ fee for OTA on the Tivo? I was on cable and I cut the cord a few months ago. The free on the first tivo is 14.99$ month and the second is 12.99$ month. Kinda a rip off. I'm hoping the new DVR + from channelmaster without monthly frees and a guide that comes from online is decent I may pick one up.
    http://www.channelmaster.com/Products_s/329.htm

13. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
  14. spaldingclan

spaldingclan Member

Aug 22, 2012
    oh heck no...i love everything about the new box...I think my antenna is not as good too

15. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Looks expensive by the time you add a hard drive, why not get lifetime on the Tivo for a few bucks more?

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Why not just buy one Romaio and use it to replace both Premiere units? If you need access in two rooms you can get a Mini for the second room. Minis are $86 + $5/mo, so even if you have to pay full price for the monthly service on the Roamio you're in the same boat. ($15 Roamio + $5 Mini = $10 Premiere + $10 Premiere)

The advantages of this setup compared to two Premieres, besides what's already been stated (i.e. speed, better tuners, easier upgrade) is that it consolidates all your recordings onto a single device so you no longer have to manage the To Do List of two separate TiVos or remember which TiVo has which show. It also allows for cheaper expansion down the road because you can add support for another room by simply buying another Mini. And you don't even need access to the antenna in that room. All you need it a network connection which can be added with various method including powerline or even wifi. The Mini is also smaller and draws less power so you'll save energy. And the Roamio basic has an external power supply so if it goes bad you can simply buy a new power brick for $20 and be back up and running. (power supplies are the second most common point of failure in a TiVo next to the hard drive)

The only disadvantage is you'll be losing a bit of space. The basic Roamio has a 500GB drive and the basic Premiere units had either 320GB or 500GB depending on how old it was. So combined they had more space then a single Roamio. Although the Romaios support simple drop in drive upgrades up to 3TB, so if you need more space it's really easy to upgrade.

That being said since your current TiVos don't have lifetime you're probably not going to be able to sell them. So this will likely be a 100% out of pocket upgrade. The Roamio can be had from Amazon for $150 and the Mini for $86, so you have to decide if it's worth spending $240 for this upgrade.

17. troasti

troasti New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I already have the 1 TB DVR expander I could use for the Channel Master. So the cost would just be the 250$ for it with no monthly fees. To push my tivo premiere to lifetime it's 400$ - quite a bit more actually. Plus, I feel really let down by the tivo's apps (no amazon prime, crappy netflix) they are barely usuable on the premiere and I already have a roku which is much better for that purpose. If you tell me I should buy the new roamio and get a lifetime now were talking $150 + 400$ ? I guess I could get the roamio and stick with a monthly sub to keep up front costs down.

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Have you checked Netflix recently. It just got upgraded a few days ago. It's way better, even on the Premiere. The rumor is that a new Amazon app is coming and should be announced next week at CES.

19. the_Skywise

the_Skywise Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Indianapolis...
    But with the Roamios, aren't you limited to OTA *OR* cable card (not both at the same time as you could with the two tuner Premieres?)

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes. The OP said he was using OTA only, so that's not an issue for him.