1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA in Chicago Area

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Thunderclap, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    I'm a recent convert to OTA. I live in Oak Park, a suburb of Chicago, and have a question about ABC. There are two 7-1 channels: WLSDT and WLSSTA. I assume these are two transmitters, but the weird thing is only one works at any given time. Example: the week before the Academy Awards WLSDT came in scrambled, and WLSSTA came in fine. However, the day of the Academy Awards WLSDT was suddenly clear and WLSSTA was scrambled. Since then it's switched back and forth two more times.

Does anyone know or have a theory as to why this is happening and, if so, how can it be fixed?

I have the antenna (a Mohu Leaf) connected to a Tivo. Since I'm in a condo complex I can't have an exterior antenna, and this one actually works very well minus this one issue. So if there is no way of resolving the signal strength issue of these two channels, and if I have a season pass with Tivo for a show on ABC, will it record both channels, or will it pick the one with the strongest signal?

2. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Sounds like they are working on their transmitter. Probably the best bet would be to call WLS and ask them whats going on.

3. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    If that's the case, will Tivo figure out which antenna is strongest and record the show off that one, or will it record both?

4. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    I dont think it will record them both. It would only record on the one with the season pass set up...assuming they both come in at once.

The one ending in STA is a temporary license. Once it is completed, one would assume they will drop the WLSDT, moving that license to the transmitter they are installing.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Looks like they originally were broadcasting on Physical Channel 7 and are in the process of moving to physical channel 44. The Display channel will remain 7-X so at some point one of the channels will go away permanently.

I would think that once they are broadcasting on physical channel 44 they will not be broadcasting on physical channel 7 anymore and you can remove it from your channel list.

6. bluecar2

bluecar2 New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    ABC has a website with further details (that I can't link due to low post count). On March 18 their RF7 antenna will be turned off leaving only RF44.

bluecar

7. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    Thanks. I guess I'll just wait the two weeks and see if the problem resolves itself.