1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orphan Black 5/11/13 "Parts Developed in an Unusual Manner"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, May 11, 2013.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Here ya' go...

Another excellent episode.

2. robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Crazy blonde clone, pulls it off..

So I guess I was wrong about Mrs. S (? the lady watching the daughter) being an observer (Fringe?)

The bad guys cult/club I find a little wierd. Techno/ravers/modder villians isn't scaring me too much.

3. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    They don't seem very tough. I was surprised Paul let himself be taken. Before he told Sarah to run, he should have been ready to fight (including knowing where everyone in the room is and what weapons they have, having a weapon himself, etc.). Also, Sarah was stupid the way she let herself be taken. She should have gone in with a gun and been prepared to use it.

So the bad guys only look tough in comparison to the wimpy and foolish good guys.

Well, the other bad guys are tougher. Crazy blonde clone, as you call her, and her nutball handler. But again, the good guys are foolish. That blonde may be Sarah's clone, but she is also not only a serial killer, but clearly planning to kill again, and Sarah just let her go before? Even if Sarah does not want to capture or kill her this episode, the smart move would have been to call her police friend and have him arrest the girl. Yes, he finds out about the whole clone thing, but it is hardly to Sarah's benefit to keep that secret at this point (she could get in trouble for impersonating an officer, but not a big deal compared to preventing murders...besides, Sarah has dirt on Beth's partner that could give her some leverage).

4. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Looks like her partner is already finding out about the clone thing. Or I guess she could just be a twin. I wonder if there are many cases of identical triplets? Is that possible?

Love the tail. :D

It wouldn't make much of a show, but Sarah and boyfriend and Felix and Mrs. S and the daughter should just run to the Australian outback or somewhere. No way is this going to end well.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, Sarah has an excuse...she's a former juvenile delinquent, not a former Army assassin.

As for Paul... :D

Olivier seems awfully clueless about the people he's studying...

So are they saying The Gay isn't genetic?

6. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    But Alison gave her a gun and even some shooting lessons.

7. nlsinger

nlsinger w00tever

Feb 8, 2006
    Eucalyptusla...
    Could be bi. ;) And crazy blonde clone does seem to have a thing for Sarah.

8. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Gotta interject how much I love, love, love the way they do the hairstyles - blond with dark roots, the beautifully coifed locs, and the straight styles with and without bangs. Clearly, they are using wigs but they all look real -- except for the short style of the one that got shot in the car and Sarah buried.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It actually took a few seconds when Psycho Clone appeared for me to remember it's the same actor!

10. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I still think she is. Unless I'm misunderstanding her story, it doesn't hold up. And Sarah should be able to figure that out with the information she has.

She takes in foster children in England, including Sarah who was brought to her by Carlton. Carlton tells her Sarah must be hidden and kept safe. Later, Carlton returns and begs her to take Sarah far away and hide her. So she drops everything and runs across the globe to Unspecified Canadian City (Toronto) which just happens to be the very same city where the other clones and the mysterious organization doing something with them are located. Some of the clones came there from other places (Ukranian crazy clone, Dead German Clone, Casima maybe?) but some have been there for a good while - Allison, Beth, Sarah. They just all congregated there by coincidence? I think it's more likely that Mrs. S. took Sarah there on purpose, and that her story about Carlton is BS.

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This. It actually happens to me quite often with "all" of them. Very well done. This is turning into my sleeper show of the season. I'm really enjoying it. Do we know if they've shot a second season?

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, the two things that stand out to me as either really smart writing or sloppy, stupid writing are 1) the clones are scattered across the globe, yet Sarah is taken to the one city we know of that already has two of them; and 2) there's no scientific way any of them could be "the original," yet they keep talking about it...and Cosima (who as far as I can recall HASN'T talked about it) at least should know better. How (if) they resolve those issues will reveal a lot about exactly what kind of show this is.

13. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Huh? Of course there is a way. One "natural" embryo could have been used as an original to make clone embryos. Then all embryos develop in the usual way.

14. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    This is what I've been wondering. I have no science knowledge whatsoever. Is a clone a copy of an existing thing, or totally made up? I guess since, as far as we know, no one has ever cloned a human, maybe we don't know the answer?

They could have told them all they're the original just to make them feel special, but what about Sara being the only one who could get pg? And why had the powers that be supposedly lost her, if the woman was watching her? I thought they were surprised when she turned up. If they knew she lived in the same city, they should have immediately wondered if she was impersonating Beth.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Clones are made from adult cells.

16. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Except when they are not.

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This is fiction. Clones are made however the writers decide they are made. As we don't have human clones right now, that can be any way they decided to do it. I'm not sure the "how" is the important part of the story as much as the "why" and what happens with the clones. I'm not going to worry about plausability just yet.

18. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    There are several types of cloning. It is not made up. One of the most difficult types is to take an adult cell (for example, a mammary cell) and use the DNA from the adult cell to create a blastocyst that develops into a genetically identical copy of the original. This process is well-understood in animals (you may remember the famous Dolly the sheep), but has not been reported successfully in humans (probably more for ethical reasons than scientific reasons).

But it is also possible, and in fact easier, to create a clone from embryonic cells.

Anyway, here is a good primer on the subject of cloning:

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/elsi/cloning.shtml

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
  20. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Whatever you are implying that I am wrong about, you are actually mistaken. But feel free to actually make your point rather than trying to pretend that you know what you are talking about. If you are specific, we should be able to get your error straightened out.