1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optical out on Series 3, HD & Premier; only PCM?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by videobruce, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jan 2, 2013 #1 of 30
    videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Using just the optical out into a A/V receiver with no HDMI, is the optical audio only 2 channel PCM or is there a selection of DD 5.1? This reviews states it is only PCM;
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R1CQDD...0RZDBM2&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful
    Question applies to the Series 3, the 'HD' & the current Premier.

2. Jan 2, 2013 #2 of 30
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I use an optical cable from a TivoHD to a Pioneer receiver and get DD 5.1.

You just have to make sure your Tivo audio out setting is set to Dolby Digital.

If it is set for PCM, you will only get 2 channel stereo.

3. Jan 2, 2013 #3 of 30
    videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    I figured that might of been the case that a setting was not changed, but what's with the confirmation from TiVo and the mention of the software change??
    Does that apply to both HDMI & optical, or just optical?

4. Jan 2, 2013 #4 of 30
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Maybe there was a software update 5 years ago (when that review was written) that broke 5.1 over optical. It doesn't really matter because it works on the last version of the software for the Series 3, which probably won't ever get any more updates to re-break it. I never heard of such a problem on the Premiere.

The setting applies to the optical output and the audio within the HDMI output.

5. Jan 2, 2013 #5 of 30
    videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Ok, thanks. There are devices that only allow PCM audio on certain outputs. I was hoping this wasn't one of them.

6. Jan 2, 2013 #6 of 30
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The main reason people switch it to PCM (it's set to 5.1 by default) it that the TiVo "bloop" noises will not play over a digital audio output while 5.1 audio is being played. TiVo cannot inject the noises into the DD audio stream. If you are connecting it to a two-channel device (like a TV) then 5.1 doesn't really matter anyway.

7. Jan 2, 2013 #7 of 30
    videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    When using the menu? Not familiar with this.

8. Jan 2, 2013 #8 of 30
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You know the noises when you fast-forward, rewind, etc.

9. Jan 2, 2013 #9 of 30
    videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Actually, no I don't. I never owned one, only scanned through a menu of a series 2 once.

10. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
  11. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    The sounds are SO annoying. I have NEVER enabled them in my 8+ years of using a TiVo...

12. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You mean you disabled them, as do I. :)

13. Epistuff

Epistuff New Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I am using the HDMI cable from my Tivo premier box to HDMI-1 of my TV and the optical out of the Tivo to my old non-HDMI Yamaha 5.1 AVR. I still hear the "bloop noises" when I use the guide, info...buttons but not when I use the fast forward and rewind buttons. What does that mean?? I have the Tivo audio setting as Dolby Digital.

14. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Been using optical audio from our S3 through an Onkyo receiver since we purchased them in January and February of 2007 with DD 5.1 and never had an issue after any of the updates.

You really need to stop reading the reviews of the TiVo on Amazon. This is the second thread you've started where someone had posted mis-information about TiVo in an Amazon review (the other was about them being leased versus owned)!

Scott

15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    We're a like the TiVo sounds family. :)

Scott

16. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If you are on a menu, then there is no 5.1 audio so the bloop sounds work. When you are playing a 5.1 show, then they won't work. Tune to a channel or play a recording that does not have 5.1 audio and the bloops will work.

17. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Ten seconds of that, I would throw it out the window. Sheesh! :eek:
    I disable M$ annoying sounds as well.

18. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    And there is no misinformation here? No one makes a mistake or mis quotes here?
    Is there a limit of posting incorrect reviews? :rolleyes:

19. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I wish there was on Amazon. If someone has twenty reviews that all say "3 out of 5000 people found this helpful" then that person's reviews should all get deleted and they should be blocked from posting more.

20. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Then don't forget to add Newegg to the list. How many one star reviews are there when the item was DOA, or shortly after and the buyer never got a replacement?