1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OOH Roamio streaming with Content Filter

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by DHP, Nov 1, 2013.

1. DHP

DHP New Member

Dec 8, 2006
    I have setup Out of home streaming with my Roamio Pro. I can stream in the home to the mobile ios app just fine. When out of the home, I can see My Shows on the Roamio Pro on the ios app and I can schedule new recordings just fine.

I have a content filter installed (iBoss Home) that acts as my DHCP server in the home. Even though I have set up the Roamio's IP address to have no content filtering, when the content filter is enabled I cannot get out of home streaming working. I disabled the content filter today and I can stream out of the home just fine.

I have a slingbox that can stream just fine out of the home when my content filter is enabled (and the slingbox IP address has no filtering).

Anyone know if I need to do port forwarding or any other tricks for the Roamio Pro?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The OOH feature is currently using a proxy to function. Your content filter probably blocks all proxies because they can be used to bypass content filters. TiVo said that a future update will enable internal port forwarding to be used instead, which is what Slingbox does. But that update isn't expected until sometime next year.

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Slingbox I think tries to use UPNP if available since I didn't have to configure manual port forwarding for it to work. UPNP disturbs me a little because it can be a security hole and at least on my router I don't see any indication of when it is being used or not. There is a router setting to enable/disable UPNP, but no logging related to UPNP.

4. DHP

DHP New Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Thanks Dan - do you know what address/URL Tivo is using for the proxy server? Maybe I could allow the URL for the proxy server on my content filter

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't. It's not listed on the system info page and because it's an iOS app there is really no easy way to sniff it. Someone with more time and more skills then I might be able to figure it out by routing it through a secondary proxy or trapping NAT traffic.

6. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't have a URL but my router log shows that while downloading over LTE I have high egress traffic to IP 136.179.5.155 on port 1195. A whois ultimately revealed it to be a company in Alviso, CA by the name of Tivo, Inc. :)

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    According to a reverse DNS lookup service that resolves to something on switchnap.com

8. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    They are a service provider, the IP block is Tivo's if you keep following the chain.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Maybe it would be as easy as allowing all tivo.com traffic?