1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only one tuner used for back-to-back overlapping recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by PedjaR, Dec 15, 2013.

1. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    I have a wishlist that records NFL games with one hour padding. Around 5pm EST one of the 4:25 games did not have an entry in My Shows; I thought something was wrong. Then I noticed that the earlier game was recording the beginning of that game due to the padding; the other three tuners were tuned to something else. I waited until 5:25 (which is when the padding expired on earlier game) and, much to my delight, the second game appeared in My Shows, and it has recorded from the beginning. The padded game also had the first chunk of the second game, i.e. the overlapped part recorded twice but using one tuner only. This has never happened to me on Premiere. If this is what always happens (I will do some more checking later) I could be very liberal with adding padding on shows and not run out of tuners.
    Is this a known enhancement on Roamios?

2. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    If it did do that, it's new behavior and something Margret didn't mention in the release notes.

3. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Are you on 20.3.8?

Far as I know, Tivo was testing behavior like this, however, I believe in one of the previous updates it was disabled because it wasn't working correctly.

Maybe they re-enabled it in 20.3.8?

-Kevin

4. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    Yes, I've got 20.3.8.

5. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    While the single tuner algorithm is clearly better, they need to work on the supporting programming. It makes it appear the second recording is not working, and as you said, there is no way to get to it. Unless one wants to speed thru the first recording.

Great idea, incredibly poor implementation.

6. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    Once the first recording is done, you can get to the second one, and watch it from the beginning without involving the first one, so it's not that bad (I'd take out "incredibly" from your comment :) ). Here it looked strange because the padding was huge, but if it were small padding of a few minutes just to avoid cutting off the end of the show (as opposed to protecting against the game going to overtime), I would not have even noticed. But I agree it would be much nicer if I could at least see that the second recording was in progress, even if not able to get to it. The To Do list was interesting - it showed as "Will Record" something that has started half an hour ago, and it did not have a red circle indicating it was being recorded. So, there's noticeable room for improvement, but it is still a nice addition. I would have liked this a lot when I had only a 2-tuner Premiere. I wonder if this addition (or an earlier, buggier version of it) was the reason for the "modifying the end time of an upcoming recording results in duplicate recordings" bug.
    I'm surprised that it was not mentioned by Margret as one of the goodies added, as some people were asking for this for quite a while, indicating that one of the satelite DVRs had it. Maybe it is because it needs more work.

7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I'll stick with incredibly poor for now.:D Too many gotchas...

* Can't get directly to second recording during overlap
    * To-Do List doesn't show it is recording (very dangerous for those of us that watch it closely on busy nights, due to V53 non-recording glitch)
    * Now Playing doesn't show it
    * In the case of large pads (AKA CBS Sunday night, or any show on FX), it's a real PITA to get to 2nd show.

Great idea... needs work.

8. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    DARN!!!! Getting more tuners for overlap protection was a major reason I got a Roamio.. (I have said FOR YEARS that I would PAY a one time fee beyond my lifetime subscriptions for (1) free space indicator(*), and (2) this feature people are talking about.)

Though the speed of the Roamio is good (I still wouldn't say it's LIGHTNING fast like some seem to say -- and there are some weird visual tearing issues when going between screens), and not needing a separate Stream is good..

(*) The one they have now is "good enough" but still VERY far off. I think it estimates poorly. I can be at lets say 90% right near the end of a recording, and when it stops, the free space jumps down to 86% or something even though I didn't delete anything. Yes, I know it has to be an estimate at some level, they seem to think.. (I just want a "Gas gauge")

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This kind of existed when the Roamio was released, but it was buggy so they took it away in the first update. Looks like it's back. :up:

Now we just need an option for all shows to auto pad by 1 minute on either end, as long as there is no conflict, and one of my longest requested features will have been fulfilled.

Next is user profiles.

10. Sixto

Sixto Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Same here, just tested it, it seems to work.

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    In addition to the previously reported issues, I've got one or two others. At least some of the time, Ive seen a "glitch" in the second recording at the point where the overlap ends.

The other problem that is possibly caused by the implementation is the previously reported elsewhere problem of getting two entries in the to do list when you change the padding of an overlapping recording.

12. keithg1964

keithg1964 New Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Is this for only the Roamio, or is it for the Premieres also?

13. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I saw it on one of my Premieres. I didn't even have a Roamio until Wednesday.

14. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll stick with "incredibly poor" as well, since I always seem to be left with glitches in the 2nd recording at the end of the overlap time. I don't suppose there is a mysterious backdoor key sequence to disable this and just use two tuners? With all the useful things TiVo could be working on, I can't believe they'd waste time on this now that they have 6 tuners. Someone needs to prioritize better at TiVo.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I had a recording the other night that was missing the beginning where it overlapped with the previous show. Like the copy routine failed. (I have clipping turned off, so there is no way that caused the problem) They really should work out the bugs with this feature before unleashing it on us.

16. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Is this why the To Do list on my XL4 occasionally shows five overlapping programs?

Attached Files:

17. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    It was taken out.....because we all tested and it didn't work for a while. I'm guessing maybe it snuck back in in one of those quick builds they released.

Or at least I want to hope they would be smart enough with all the reports :D.....and I know they know, I emailed Margret about it and she acknowledged.

-Kevin

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think so. That looks like a scheduling bug. We're talking about minor overlaps caused by padding of back to back recordings on the same channel. That is actually 5 different shows, on 5 different networks, all scheduled for the same time slot.

19. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I mentioned this in another thread yesterday, but I swear people were talking about it a few weeks ago.. yet I can't find that reference.

Have you reported it to Tivo directly?

20. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Here's the old thread on it:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=508756

And yes....Tivo is well aware of it. Way back with that initial thread I emailed Margret at Tivo and made them aware.

Margret even mentions around 12/20 that it will be resolved in the next update. What we don't know is will they just turn the buggy feature off again? Or really fix it?

-Kevin