1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

only 1 tuner working hdvr2

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by DPETRO, Sep 25, 2006.

1. DPETRO

DPETRO New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    I have an hdvr2 receiver that one tuner works fine and the other tuner pixels on most channels. I have confirmed it is in the receiver.(switching cables) Any ideas??
    Thanks in advance. :confused:

2. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    It happens (and it's almost always an HDRV2, but I don't know if that's statistically significant). It's happened to me and quite a few others around here. My only suggestion is to sell it or use it as a single tuner unit (assuming it's tuner 2 that has failed).

BTW, the "as a single tuner unit" clause is intended to modify both "sell it" and "use it" :)

3. DPETRO

DPETRO New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Yea, But I Am Looking For A Fix Not A Replace.

4. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I don't know what to tell you. I don't believe you can just buy a tuner somewhere (certainly not Radio Shack or anything). Assuming you could, it would take considerable skill to replace it. I don't think there are any shops you can take these to and have them worked on. It's well past any manufacturer's warantee. If you get DirecTV to replace it, they will almost certainly send you an R15. I know it's not the answer you want, but it is what it is.

This is getting to be a somewhat common problem (at least as far as the forum is concerned). It's unfortunate because, while it's nearly trivial to fix a failing hard drive or even a power supply, this particular fault is nearly impossible to fix.

Best thing is watch everything you need to watch (I've got one last movie on my own failing HDVR2 I need to get around to) and then move on. It's not completely without a secondary market, since it could be hacked to be used as a thin client for a good box on a network (doesn't need any tuners for that).

5. DPETRO

DPETRO New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Wow thats a depressing answer. I will press on. Thanks anyway for your time.

6. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    You could always replace the motherboard on the unit .... google for places that sell them... I think weaknees sells the boards.

7. DPETRO

DPETRO New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    So the mother board has the tuners on it? Thats an idea, I got my upgraded hard drive from them.

8. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    If you just get a replacement, rather than repair it, you could re-use the bad tuner one as an unsubscribed MRV unit. You don't need ( or want ) an unsubscribed unit to connect to the antenna anyway, since it's only going to let you view what's already recorded on a subscribed DirecTiVo. (This is the thin client use referenced above )

So for about the same amount of $$ as a new motherboard you could get a replacement from ebay and have a unit you can network with it as well.

9. Doomster

Doomster New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Someone else on another thread in this forum said the same thing about HDVR2. As an owner of two HDVR2s, I'd like to know if this happens more than on an SD-DRV40 (I have both HDVR2s and SD-DVR40s). Is this problem a defect limited to HDVR2s? Or is it something that happens to all Series 2 Tivos but happens more frequently on HDVR2s?

10. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    All the info we have is anecdotal, so we can't really draw meaningful conclusions, statistically speaking. Almost every time I see someone complain of a failed tuner, it's an HDVR2. What does that mean, though? Are HDVR2 more susceptible? Are there just more of them than other Series2 units? Am I biased to notice those threads because of my own failed HDVR2? Is it because HDVR2s tend to be older than the other Series2 units? Who knows.

Anecdotally, my HDVR2 had a failed second tuner and my in-laws' HDVR2 had a failed second tuner. My DSR6000 is just fine after nearly six years. My R10 is just fine after however long that's been (I bought it when it first came out).

On the other hand, think about how many HDVR2s there are out there. This issue probably affects a fraction of a percent of them (if it didn't we'd hear a whole lot more about it, I think, especially around here).

11. DPETRO

DPETRO New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    I checked on e-bay and there seems to be alot of used units failry cheap. That might to be the way I will have to go.

12. rmassey

rmassey Damn, these are fun!

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    I unplugged my S-Video output, switching to composite, and it fixed my failing Tuner2. Give it a try.

13. DPETRO

DPETRO New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    All you did was unplug the s-video?

14. Doomster

Doomster New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Be careful.

Ask questions to the seller BEFORE you buy.

I bought one used that had defective RCA outputs. I tried sending him email about it but he woudln't reply to any of my emails complaining about it. Unfortunately, I had already given him a good feedback BEFORE I installed the Tivo (I bought it and because I was busy, I didn't set it up for 3 weeks after I received).

I bought another one that had a broken remote control. He never mentioned that in his EBay listing (and I didn't ask him about it even though I asked him about a lot of other details).

A third one I bought is the one that seems to be "fragile". Not sure if it's the Tivo or just the HDs I'm using.

Two others I bought were great - no problems encountered with those.

If I were you, I'd contact the seller on EBay, ask questions about if the Tivo works now, if the outputs in the back are working, did he ever open the box (if he didn't, you can be more confident he didn't tinker around and break something), if the remote works, etc.

15. DPETRO

DPETRO New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    great advise, I will be very carful if I get one on e-bay.

16. mfryd

mfryd New Member

Nov 7, 2005
    I am curious as to what hard drive you have in the HDVR2 with the failing second tuner.

I have two HDVR2s with the failing second tuner problem. Both units had been upgraded with Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 300GB drives. These drives tend to run hot and use lots of power.

I wonder if these drives just put too much stress on the system? I wonder if the problem will go away if I switch to a lower power drive.

I now use Western Digital 320GB hard drives. They use les power, and the HDRV2's run much cooler.

P.S. I have had good luck buying units on eBay. I find DirecTV's policy on acess cards varies with the rep you happen to get on the phone. I activated three units, one rep made me get a new card. One rep allowed me to use the card that was in the unit (even though it had previously been on someone else's account), one rep allowed me to swap in a card from one of my old non-DVR receivers.

17. DPETRO

DPETRO New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    I took out the s-video and that worked!!!!!! :p :) Thank you so much :up:
    The picture seems the same to me. All I know is that I have no more pixeling.

I recently got an upgrade hard drive from weaknees but I had the problem before that.

I wonder why it worked?

18. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Yikes! I was using s-video and it would never have ocurred to me to try it without. It's inactive now so I don't think I could really test this theory at the moment. When I finally get tired of the R15 maybe I'll try it in the bedroom (where I'd use RF channel 3). What an odd "fix".

19. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    I've never tried switching to composite either, but my HDVR2 is in temporary use - I may be able to run another cable but its a bit of a pain.

20. MsPoo

MsPoo New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    I have a DVR 616F which started pixeling. I am wondering if I have the S-video card removed my problem will be resolved without buying another unit.
    Thanks