1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

online storage vs. home storage

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Torino, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Torino

Torino New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    VA
    I was thinking of setting up an old pc I have for Tivo backup. I have also thought of online. Who has used online and how did it go. I understand it can take awhile to upload big files. Does it slow your pc down alot while it is uploading?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Storing locally is faster and better then in the cloud/internet. Also, you can risk losing them due to inactivity, lack of payment, etc.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    If only we folks on TWC, or other systems that copy protect profusely, had this choice. And you better have a later model Tivo than a Series 3 or you will eat up a lot of home network time transferring shows to your PC. Although I gather kmttg can automate those transfers and take the pain out.

If you use the cloud, you better have better than average internet upload speeds and a high capacity cloud storage bin. If you store locally, you will need to spend some $$ on a raid system, or you risk losing recordings due to HDD failures. There are some members here with big RAID systems. I wonder if anyone is using the Cloud for more than a few selected videos?

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The best thing would be a PC set up near the TiVo with both connected by wire to a router.

If that router isn't the main router, look into ways (like maybe DD-WRT) to turn it into a wireless bridge.

That way you have the best speed between TiVo and PC (use NTFS partitions to store the .tivo files rather than FAT32), and same internet connecting speed for the TiVo as before.

5. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    One of the ways I now back up my PC is I bought two identical 1 Tb hard drives. I use one for my D drive and keep all my photos , music, videos and program data on it. Every other week I plug the second drive into a plug and play Sata port on the mother board, format the hard drive to wipe it clean and do a copy D to the back up hard drive. I go watch TV while it's doing it. After it is finished I unplug the back up hard drive and set it on the shelf. I did have it connected to my router by way of the routers USB port to use as a NAS but it took a long time to do it. The only advantage was I could back up my other three PC's thru it. However, the other three really didn't have anything that needed backing up since the music was the same on mine.

6. Torino

Torino New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    VA
    Don't you hate when someone does not close a thread. I ended up using a old pc. Of course now I wished I would have used a larger drive.

7. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    It's not either/or. I use both. -- You can have safety and speed with the belt and suspenders approach.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have nothing on my TiVo that I feel the need to back up. If the drive died it would suck, but it's just TV. And if there is something I really "need" there are other options for watching, like VOD or BitTorrent.

9. mike3775

mike3775 New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Indiana
    This right here. I really see no need to save TV shows I recorded as I rarely record shows that I would want to have a copy of, and if I do want a copy, usually I can get it at the store or via stream places like Vudu, Amazon, iTunes, etc

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you are using TiVo Desktop, you are not limited to storing everything in the My TiVo Recordings folder.

You can put shows in other folders on different partitions on the same drive or partitions on other drives connected to that same PC (either straight to SATA or PATA/IDE headers or via USB adapters) and put shortcuts to those folders in the MTR folder. You can have sub-folders in those folders, so for example, you could have an NBC folder with a Blacklist folder and a Grimm folder and a Saturday Night Live folder, et cetera, inside the NBC folder.

I can even assign a drive letter to a Buffalo Link Station on the same network and include a shortcut to that drive letter, and any .tivo files on it will show up under that computer's name at the bottom of my Now Playing lists.

Of course you have to copy the shows from the TiVo(s) first to the MTR folder and then move them to the other folders, so that part's annoying.

Also, if you disconnect or remove a drive, you have to delete the shortcut in the MTR folder, or Desktop might not open properly.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    About 3 years ago, *one* cut cable disabled *all* Time-Warner services (cable TV, internet, VOIP) for a day in our entire county, so I feel a lot better about keeping my stuff on drives in my house.

12. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    or the cloud based service going out of business

13. jth tv

jth tv Member

Nov 15, 2014
    There are no shows I would like to keep permanently. I wish I could back up my season passes and wishlists though.

But for pc's in general, I am a big fan of portable USB. If a USB drive is not connected, then there is less chance of it being wrecked or wearing out. I have 2 sets, one here, one in a safe deposit box.

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Season passes can be copied from 1 Tivo box to another on your tivo.com account. Another way is to use the KMTTG program, which will copy between Tivo and the PC. Wishlists may be another matter.

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I do archive some shows occasionally, but I transfer those manually via TiVo Desktop. Backing up my entire TiVo just in case of failure seems unnecessary though.

16. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I don't understand how people deal with large now playing lists on their Tivo.
    I used to own a lot of DVDs and I realized they were sitting their losing value and I was watching new stuff all the time. I finally sold the lot while it still had any value.

Now I just get stuff of my various subscription services.

17. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    If you backed up your .tivo files online, it would be INSANE. Even on Verizon FIOS, the amount of uploading would be out of control. I am a HUGE supporter of online backup, I use Backblaze for my computer, but backing up hundreds of GBs of TV per week makes absolutely no sense.

I don't back my TiVo up, because I figure it is just TV. At some point, I may start backing it up to a PC or NAS, but I'd be doing it over gigabit ethernet to a local drive, not over the internet.