1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Tivo got it right and one didn't

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by turbobuick86, Apr 25, 2013.

1. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 New Member

May 2, 2002
    We have two older HD Tivo's in the house. His and Hers. Hers is the XL model and resides in the bedroom. Mine (His) resides in the home theater. We only subscribe to Netflix and get our TV viewing via OTA only. It's been great for 5 yrs and don't miss the $80+/mo. crap cable/sat tv bills! ;)

Okay, my question is why did one machine record Vegas, when it surprisingly showed up on different night, and one machine did not. I caught it during the recording and both units updated or "made the call" via network a few minutes apart 12 hours earlier. The guides were different obviously, so His tivo didn't record and hers did. Again, basically same model with larger HDD in one.

The shows we both enjoy we watch in the theater room, so I transferred it from the bedroom. Glad the wife had a season pass on Vegas also. We reall enjoy that show. This isn't any big deal, obviously, just curious as to why the recently updated guides on each tivo didn't mirror each other.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    What does the history say?

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I would assume the Recording History would say the "Recording didn't happen because of no signal."

4. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 New Member

May 2, 2002
    Not sure where to find "history". The one tivo didn't record because the guide said NCIS, but VEGAS was showing. The guides were different.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Recording history is located at the top of the ToDo list. There is a shortcut to the ToDo list, Press TiVo button followed by "2".

6. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 New Member

May 2, 2002
    Thanks for the tips! The history of last Saturday night says, "transferring Vegas from bedroom tivo" which is what I was doing. :)

It goes back to my question of why the guides would be different. The recording wasn't even scheduled in the theater because the guide was wrong in that room and correct in the other room. The guides were different even though the tivos both updated recently. The bedroom guide had Vegas at 9pm and was recording, while the theater guide had NCIS so no reason to record anything.

Oh well, I can live with an occasional hiccup. More than pleased with Tivo over the last dozen years.

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Because of the events in Boston last week and specifically Friday evening when the networks chose to preempt the regular schedule with "breaking news," Vegas was moved to Saturday evening. Now why did one tivo record it and the other didn't? The answer is the daily connection for guide data. One Tivo made it's daily connection early enough to get the updated information and the other did not.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Actually, I think in this case the tivo would have been updated "late enough" to pick up the changes and that tivo got the data early enough to update. An earlier update by the tivo would have missed it.

I'm kinda surprised it picked it up at all. These kinds of events, like sports or presidential messages commonly mess up season passes. That is one reason why there is a season pass alert forum!

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    There was no earlier update. Tivos start distributing the latest guide data at 2pm CDT daily, so there was only the one update to get on Saturday.

10. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The Tivos called in at different times of day and had different amounts of time to 'digest' the info.