1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One TiVo can't see the other.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Joey P, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, the title kinda explains it. My Bedroom TiVo can see and transfer from the Living Room TiVo, but the Living Room TiVo can't see the Bedroom TiVo. The setup has been working flawlessly for the past several years. Then about a month ago it was just kinda working. By that I mean, when I would pull up the Now Playing list in the Living Room the link to get to the other TiVo would be there maybe 1 in 20 times (Just going back and forth from the NP list to the main screen over and over would eventually make it appear, failing that rebooting would sometimes work).
    Any ideas on this?
    Also, nothing has changed that I know of, both TiVos connect to the internet just fine.

2. transam9898

transam9898 New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Ive got the same problem on one of my tivo's just all of my other networked TiVOS dissappear, only way to get them back is a reboot.....

Its a BUG im sure (especially that more than one has this SAME Problem..... but I doubt tivo will FIX it ;(

3. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Model numbers? Are both S2, S3 or a combination of both? What type of connection to the router - wired or wireless?

Did you check your Media Access Key to make sure both are the same and have Enable Transfers check on tivo.com?

Have you rebooted both TiVo's or just the one that is having trouble with the NPL? Try rebooting both, as well as your router.

4. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    Both S2's, both have been rebooted, both wired, haven't checked the MAKs yet, but I just rebooted the router and at the moment it's working. We'll see if it's still working later tonight.

5. johnf@home

johnf@home New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Just started happening for me, too.
    (Two TiVo HDs; one wired, one wireless).

6. jbird327

jbird327 New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I am also having this issue at my Mom's house - 1xS3, 1xS2, both use wireless. The S2, closest to the router can see the S3 which is one floor below. The S3 briefly saw S2 after a reboot. This started a month or so ago.

7. johnf@home

johnf@home New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    A clarification - it's not a MAK issue. My setup hasn't changed for almost two years (except for hard-wiring one TiVo to the router several months ago).

If I reboot the primary (wired) TiVo, or 'change' the network configuration and force it to re-accquire an IP address from the router, I can see the second TiVo for a while, but then it disappears from the "Now Playing" screen. The IP address is still valid - the second TiVo can still see the primary one, and any transfer in progress will still continue (and terminate normally); it's just the "Now Playing" display that seems to be wrong.

8. feroc

feroc New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    I'm having exact same problem - i have 3 wirelessly connected tivos on my network, all been working fine for at least 2 years, now intermittently they stop seeing one another. tivo desktop software usually can see all 3 at the same time they don't see each other. occasionally the desktop software also can't see the tivos. NOTHING has changed on my network or it's setup. was there a new version of tivo software downloaded to the boxes that is messing with things? very very frustrating. i have rebooted the router, the wireless adapters and the tivo boxes several times. occasionally the other tivos will appear on one another but then later i go back and they are not there. sounds like others having the same problem?

9. johnf@home

johnf@home New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    More information:

The TiVo that is not displaying information can still see my home network, and a test connection to the Tivo service succeeeds. The other TiVo (on the same network) can see the first TiVo.

10. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    Try unplugging your wired/wireless connection from the TiVos.
    Restart the TiVos.
    Re-plug the connections.

11. johnf@home

johnf@home New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    And how will this help?

I can re-establish communication by rebooting the wired TiVo, or by forcing it to re-accquire an IP address. But that only lasts for an hour or so, and then the other Tivo drops off the "Now Playing" list.

12. lebowits

lebowits New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Montgomery...
    I've recently started having this issue as well. My S3 can see my HD with no problems but the HD can't see the S3. I rebooted the HD but it didn't make a difference. Both are connected wirelessly and are reporting good network connections.

13. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    Have you tried "reserving" the IPs in the router's set up. This sort of makes the DHCP in the router use the same IP all the time for the selected device. I think it is related to MAC of the device.

I've done that for printers that don't seem to follow the dynamic IPs routinely assigned by DHCP. I kept losing the printer until I "reserved" the IP for the printer. It is sort of like a stactic IP but not quite.

I've done that for my TiVos as well and have never lost a TiVo or a printer since doing it.

Some routers may noit offer that option. You may have to go for a straight static IP.

14. lebowits

lebowits New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Montgomery...
    No, I haven't setup static IPs. This has been working for several years (like a few others who have posted here) and has only recently failed. Both TiVos see the network and the S3 can "see" the HD and show the content available for xfer. So in my case, the problem is limited to the HD not recognizing the S3.

15. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    None of this addresses why the issue just crops up. I've been having the same problem just recently; it's been working just fine the past 6 months (since I got the second TiVo). The only wild card in the equation is I just added a Blu-ray player (LG BD390) and have been using its wireless capability to connect to my home network. Today, I just hardwired it with a Cat-5 cable, so I'll see if that makes any difference.

16. johnf@home

johnf@home New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    At this point I'm not convinced that it's really a network problem. My experience, and that of several others, seems to suggest that the network (other TiVos, PCs, etc.) can see the 'failing' TiVo, and that it can see the network - connections to the TiVo site still work, and program transfers (both in-progress and queued) complete normally.

The only thing that doesn't seem to be working is showing other devices in the "Now Playing" list (which makes it hard to browse those other devices or set up new transfers).

17. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Well, so far, so good. I rebooted the "disappearing" TiVo yesterday, and it still appears in my S3's NPL today.

18. Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    Exact same problem here: My S3 could see my HD, but my HD could not see the S3. I re-started the S3, did not touch the HD, and now the HD can see the S3 again.

I have a probably "typically complex" home network, with the S3 hardwired to a gigabit switch, and my HD is hardwired to a wireless access point, and both have static IPs.

I don't use MRV very often and can't say for sure how long it's been since the HD stopped showing the S3 in its "Now Playing" list.

19. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    This problem just started with me in the past week. I have 3 TIVOs - 2 TIVO HDs and one Series 2. One of the TIVO HDs is having the intermittent problem of not seeing one or both of the others on the Now Playing List. I generally restart the unit and everything is fine for a day or so.

I'll try restarting all 3 of my TIVOs and see what happens.

It should be noted that this just started happening to several of us, so it is most likely something on TIVO's end that is causing this.

20. johnf@home

johnf@home New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    That seems to be working for me too. It's only been six hours since the reboot, but that's about five hours longer than things worked before ...