1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Once Upon a Time - S2E05 - "The Doctor"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by global_dev, Oct 29, 2012.

1. global_dev

global_dev Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Northern VA
    I really enjoyed season 1, and season 2 has been kind of weak for me.

so much going on, lots of characters that i enjoy writers them tying in, but it feels like it could be kind of thin right now with so many characters. Is that the end of Dr. frankenstein and his monster? Interesting concept, but what about the stuff introduced in the first season? is pinnochio still laying in bed?

i was maybe hoping for more monster rampage or angry mob or something.

what did you all think?

2. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    I feel like Im watching Heros. Great first season and then, meh.

Next week looks interesting at least.

3. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Henry told Gepetto where the room was, but when Gepetto got there Pinocchio was gone (damn termites! :)).

I think they're doing a whole lot of setup for this season (which I'm guessing is 'Cora is the bad guy') but I'm not a fan of this much setup either. I can't imagine them dragging Whale all the way through season one and then one season two ep and he's done. Maybe we can get the sheriff back? :)

4. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I prefer the format of this season, even if it still could be better. I grew tired of the format of last season (until the last few episodes) where it was basically like a poor man's season 1 of Lost.

5. global_dev

global_dev Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Northern VA
    I haven't seen Lost so the comparison is lost on me.
    I remember the empty room, I figured it was the wrong room though.
    I hope it picks up, I don't mind the non FTL characters at all, as long as it can connect somehow.

6. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Basically, many or most episodes of S1 were a little bit of a character in storybrook and then an elaborate back story in the other world that is mostly pointless but meant to illuminate the character's motivations. In Lost, this is how they introduced many characters or filled in their back stories as well. It just didn't work as well as in Lost, especially when re-visiting characters. I became bored with the show because it felt like nothing ever was going to happen. Then things did happen and I became interested again.

Now it feels like the realm of random stuff happening, but at least the characters have some momentum and I'm not stuck watching TOO MUCH back story that offers nothing useful (though there still is some).

7. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm also thinking this year we're going to see the battle between science and magic. We've already seen Victor use (magic-heart-infused) science to bring back Daniel (even though it didn't work well, it worked), something magic cannot do.

8. NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo

May 11, 2001
    Riverdale,...
    Still liking the show. It's entertaining and fun for me.

Emma did something useful by figuring out Hook was lying. She's not always a Barney FIfe... ;)

9. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Poor Victor.
    His world has no color.

10. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    But in doing that to an adult, she's "blown her cover". It's not an ability... it's a situation-based bluff. Sure, she was pretty sure Hook was lying about who he was. If there was no ogre, he could have denied forever. But as it was, he was trapped: reveal or die.

And who's to say that he and Cora didn't plan for that? Emma and Snow sure think so.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's unfortunate, however, that her mutant ability works only when the plot requires, and disappears all those other times when it would be REALLY USEFUL... :D

12. robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Like when she met Cora.

13. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    He's done? Looked alive and kicking at the end.