1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Older TiVo, Newer TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by esjones, May 8, 2012.

1. esjones

esjones New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Is there any way of finding out if an older TiVo Gray Peanut Remote would work with a newer Samsung HDTV without actually having it in hand and trying it?

I'm reluctant to buy an older TiVo unit if the remote won't even control power and volume on the TV.

Yes, I know it wouldn't be HD, but that's not an issue here.

2. Krellion

Krellion ...

May 17, 2002
    If you're planning on buying the HDTV at Best Buy (or other local store), I suggest noting the steps on programming the remote and the manufacturer code(s) needed, then go to the store and ask if you can test your remote with their demo model(s).
  3. sharkster

sharkster Active Member TC Club

Jul 3, 2004
    I cannot imagine why it wouldn't, as long as the new TV isn't some weird brand that is not included in the compatibility list. Samsung is always on the list, so that's a safe bet.

I used my old Series 2 Tivos for eight years and changed TVs a few times - not only switching them around, but going from CRT TVs to LCD TVs.
  4. esjones

esjones New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Thanks for the tip!
  5. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TC Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Samsungs have problem with repeating volume commands, only tivo code that can handle this is 0305, if you tivo remote lacks it, its easy to replace the tivo remote.