1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Series 1

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jttehall, Jul 23, 2013.

1. jttehall

jttehall New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Thought I might post what I did with my two old Tivo's. I have a series 1 Sony and also a Philips 112. The Sony 's hard drive started acting up after just 13 years. Haha. It has a lifetime subscription and I use it in my basement work out room. So thought about weekknees but wasn't sure the 100 bucks was worth keeping it going. So I had the Philips sitting in a closet for quite a few years. I know the capacity is low but it's not that important. So I pulled the hard drive out of both of them and installed the Phillips in the Sony. Booted right up and once I did the guide set up the lifetime subscription is working and no more skipping and audio screw ups.

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you put the Phillips drive in the Sony, were you able to continue to use the Sony remote, or did you have to switch over to the Philips remote?

3. jttehall

jttehall New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Well actually I used an extra series 2 remote. Programmed using "0" as the option to control all TiVos.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

4. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    If the image was from a Philips Tivo then any non-Sony Tivo remote or universal remote with the Tivo codes would work. If he had put the Sony drive in the Philips then only the Sony remote would work.

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    That would be the "Philips" remote. However, you have done what was once warned about in a famous thread many years ago labeled "Don't be a moron." I can't find it now, but Richard Bullwinkle (aka Tivolutionary) cautioned against putting a disk from one model TiVo in another, such as you did. While it may seem to work, what happens is that the box will call into TiVo and repeatedly try to download the "correct" software version, and it will fail. TiVo doesn't like this.

With some of the TiVo-branded Series 2 models you can do this, but not in this case.

6. jttehall

jttehall New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Well I'll follow up with this. Should get some sort of message possibly. Still working fine.

7. jttehall

jttehall New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    I wonder after over 10 years if it still does this. Also I have the network card installed. No 800 number being used.

8. Aug 7, 2013 #8 of 10
    jttehall

jttehall New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Well I couldn't get the guide updates. It looked like it was downloading but never would index the info. Had to repeat the guided setup and bingo back in business. We'll see if it cont. To work

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

9. Aug 8, 2013 #9 of 10
    ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    If it fails during the next download just keep forcing a daily call until it succeeds. The downloads continue from the previous failure point as long as you don't make a test call or run Guided Setup again. During some previous years when S1s had guide problems (usually in Nov) I've had it take almost 20 attempts.

Once you have a full 12-day guide the daily calls are much smaller and they will usually complete in one session.

10. jttehall

jttehall New Member

Apr 22, 2013