1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Breaking News - Word is the sale is coming back... "Our “once in a lifetime” PLS promotion was such a hit, that we’ve decided to launch it again! It will be announced today that the PLS Transfer Sale will be available again for the last 3 days of the month. This will include the BOLT+ 3TB, and 4 refurb units (BOLT 500GB, BOLT 1T, Roamio Pro and the TiVo Mini)."

Old SD DVR40 only one tuner & no phone call

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by zx1206, Aug 2, 2016.

1. zx1206

zx1206 New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    I've purchased multiple DVR40s from eBay. A few of them are dead but the ones that will power up only have one functional tuner. The other tuner is pixilated. Is this a power supple problem, a hard drive problem or a main circuit board problem?

I'm 99% sure it isn't my satellite because my other unit still gets signal. I also 99% sure it isn't my splitter because I have swapped the wires and the working one still works while the broken one still is pixilated.

I recently had a unit die and pulled one out of my pile of used ones. To activate it, they made me get a new card. Unfortunately, it won't let me record anything because it wants to make a phone call. I plugged a line into the Tivo but it can't connect because no one answers (according to the unit).

Is there a work around for the call?
    Is there a fix for the single tuner?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I have a vague memory that this is a power supply capacitor issue. I am astonished that DirecTV allowed you to activate at all - I thought they were no longer activating non-RID boxes not previously on your account.

3. DrSmith

DrSmith New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    These units use old modem technology. It will not work on a VOIP line or any digital phone line. You need a land line to make the modem call.

The unit first tries an 800 number to get a list of local numbers for future calling. If the 800 number is not in service then it may be impossible to go forward. But if the 800 call is successful it should provide you with a list of local numbers to choose from. If you have a friend with land line service you might try letting the unit call from there? Not sure if the satellite needs to be working when the call is made. After the first batch of calls you don't need the phone connection any more.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Look at the capacitor underneath the overhang of the heat sink on the power supply (where it's hard to get to :D )

Chances are really good the top will be slightly domed from expansion of gasses inside the capacitor as it goes bad.

DirecTiVos losing one tuner was one of the earliest S2 power supply failing due to "capacitor plague" stories.