1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Man Needs Mini Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Ole Ball Coach, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Ole Ball Coach

Ole Ball Coach New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    I have Premiere XL4 with wireless N network adapter.
    Have AT&T DSL with Netgear 7550 router.
    Have Charter Cable. (CableCARD & Tuning Adapter)

If I change from wireless N to direct ethernet connection on XL4, will this allow me to connect Mini in another room just connecting coax cable and no other connections.
  2. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Unless the wireless has been giving you problems, then you should be able to leave it be, turn on Moca networking in the xl4, and the mini will only need a coax connection for full functionality.

If you have the ability to do so, wired Ethernet to the XL4 would be a more reliable connection with likely performance advantages over wireless.

Depending on your layout/wiring, another choice is a Moca adapter that could be used as a bridge to create the Moca network, and then both the xl4 and mini would only need a coax connection.
  3. Ole Ball Coach

Ole Ball Coach New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    The wireless N has worked great.

If I keep my Premiere XL4 with wireless N what will I need to do / add to install Mini in another room, that has coax connection only (Charter Cable).

Have AT&T DSL with Netgear 7550 router.

Please advise the options I have to install the Mini.
  4. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I think he would to have to get a MOCA adapter in front of his router, no? Obviously his XL4 is not directly connected to his router or he wouldn't be using a wireless N.
  6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    No. The Wireless N adapter is an Ethernet bridge, so as far as TiVo is concerned it is hardwired. So he can simple enable MoCa bridging on the XL4 and then set the Mini to use MoCa and it should work fine. They will use MoCa for streaming and the Mini will piggyback the wifi network, through the XL4, to get on the internet.
  7. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Yes... if you plug the XL4 directly into the router via Ethernet, you can set up the XL4 to power the MOCA network. And then you can plug your mini in another room by just plugging in the coaxial.