1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old DirecTV tivo user needing help doing over the air tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Belgarath, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Belgarath

Belgarath New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Hi. I used to have Directv with tivo, and loved it. Looking to to cut my cords to paid tv. I live in an apartment, can not use an outside antenna. Thinking of getting the premiere and mounting a Channel Master CM 4228 inside behind a large mirror or wooden piece of furniture on the wall. I read it has great reception. I live near Los Angeles, aproximately 42 miles from major stations. Can anyone tell me if this is a good setup? And btw, I paid years ago for lifetime membership, when I had the Directv tivo, will that apply to the new premiere? Thanks for the help.

2. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Not sure how good a setup it will be or not. I get good reception but I don't live too far away from the towers (maybe 20 miles). I have been off of directv since 2006 and have never looked back. A TiVo Premiere is a good way to go if you're used to TiVo. You may be able to call TiVo and sweet talk them into giving you the $100 off since your old dtv box has lifetime but that still makes lifetime $399 (instead of $499).

3. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    antennaweb.org should be able to help with what type of antenna you will need and what channels you can expect to pull in.

4. Tony Chick

Tony Chick New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    Make sure to get the Premiere or XL, not the Premiere 4 or XL4 as they don't have OTA tuners. I'm about 22 miles from the antennas on Mt. Wilson and get everything, for you its not so much distance as whats between you and the antennas. I have an old Radio Shack indoor powered HD antenna and it does pretty well if I recall.