1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay please spell it out for a Noobie

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by IowaGuy, Nov 4, 2013.

1. IowaGuy

IowaGuy New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Hello to all the experienced Tivo users....

I plead (!!) for your help....

Here is what I have:

Roamio Basic (hardwired ethernet and coaxial cable connection). This unit is setup fine.

Trying to connect my Tivo Mini... I assume I cannot just plug my coaxial cable connection in and expect it to work off the bat.

Can anybody please tell me the specific equipment I would need to get this to run? I don't have a readily available ethernet cable to simply plug the Tivo Mini into.

Any help would be have my deepest gratitude.

All my best,
    Noobie Matt

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Mini has MoCa built in but the Roamio Basic does not. So you have two options...

1) Hard wire the Mini to your Ethernet network.

2) Buy a MoCa bridge...

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca

Then connect it to your Ethernet network and then enable MoCa on the Mini. It doesn't matter where the MoCa bridge is in your house as long as it's somewhere that you have access to both coax and Ethernet.

3. IowaGuy

IowaGuy New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Thank you! I was hearing different things... Tivo tech support said the Mini didn't have MoCa capability.

So to sum up.. ONE MoCa adapter connected to ANYWHERE on my network and I should be set? The MoCa adapter would need 1 connection VIA ethernet and 1 connection VIA coaxial cable connection?

THANK YOU so much!!

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes. The MoCa adapter bridges the MoCa network from the coax to the Ethernet. Once you have that hooked up then the Mini will be able to connect to your network just by plugging coax into it and setting it to MoCa mode.

Edit: FYI if you have FIOS then you don't even need the MoCa adapter. The FIOS has MoCa built in so you should be able to just setup your MiNi to use MoCa and be done with it.