1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Time Warner Cable Thread

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tunnelengineer, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Sep 14, 2006 #1 of 6277
    tunnelengineer

tunnelengineer New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Please keep all posts related to Time Warner Cable and their cablecard service in this topic. Please post all stories (good or bad) and pricing examples and locations for others to view.

This is not "official" by any means but I like the idea of the other topic like this for Charter or Cablevision (can't remember which one right now).

2. Sep 14, 2006 #2 of 6277
    jmX

jmX New Member

May 7, 2004
    Los Angeles
    LA area: Called tonight at 10pm, and they're coming out on tuesday. $25 install fee, $1.75 a month for the card. They said they had no way in the computer to tell the installer to bring 2 cards out at the same time, so I'm supposed to bug the installer guy when he arrives and see if he has an extra on him.

3. Sep 14, 2006 #3 of 6277
    pkscout

pkscout Active Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    How many ways can TWC be stupid, bull headed, and make this a pain in the ass for the customer. It's bad enough we have a mandated truck role for a minimum wage "tech" to put a card in a slot and call a phone number, now they can't figure out how to do *two* cards. :rolleyes:

4. Sep 14, 2006 #4 of 6277
    tunnelengineer

Jul 21, 2006
    I have had about 7 cablecards installed over the last year. Not one has been as easy as insert card and call a phone number. These cards have to be "Married" to the tv's and devices. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes for the signal to come through. Once visit took 4 cards until they found one that worked 100%. If you are trying to get 2 cards from the cable company you will be making another trip back once you find 1 of not both of the cards don't work right.

5. Sep 14, 2006 #5 of 6277
    Eskimo Pie

Eskimo Pie New Member

May 17, 2002
    Buffalo, NY...
    I'm with Time Warner here in Buffalo, NY (Formely Adelphia). I called a couple of days ago to schedule the cable cards and she didn't seem to have any issue with me wanting two of them and I even mentioned they were going in a Tivo... It was $1.75 for the first card and $4.something for the second card. I'm wondering if this is because they think it'll be going in another TV and if I can possibly get that waived because they'll both be in the same box. I suppose I'll just ask the installer when he comes which isn't untill next Wedensday because it was the earliest time slot available. I also tried stopping by the local office yesterday to see if I could just pick a couple up and the lady said she didn't even have them... Only the tech's have access to them. All she gives out are boxes and modems. Oh well... Hopefully the install goes smoothly!

6. Sep 14, 2006 #6 of 6277
    macsamurai

macsamurai TiVoSamurai Too!

Dec 30, 2001
    Brooklyn...
    I posted info about Time Warner NYC (includes Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island) in this earlier thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=4369265&&#post4369265

Bottom line - you can't pick up the cards yourself. You have to schedule an installer to come to you. As of yesterday appointments were being given out for within a week (mine is setup for Friday, assuming my TiVo gets here before they do!). I was told the cost was the additional charge for the HD upgrade from SD ($6.95/month I think but I didn't write it down), but no additional charge for the CableCards themselves or the installation.

7. Sep 14, 2006 #7 of 6277
    tunnelengineer

Jul 21, 2006
    Also as of note, some TWC areas do have S3 on order so they will have test units available and should be knowledgeable of the install by late next week.

8. Sep 14, 2006 #8 of 6277
    peekb

peekb Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I live in Niskayuna, NY and called TWC yesterday to setup a CableCard install for my TiVo that's arriving tomorrow. I was told the install would be free and the cards would be $2/mo. I asked for two and there was no issue. Given my usual track record with TWC, I hope the "tech" will be able to get the card working in the TiVo. I wish we could just do it ourselves...

9. Sep 14, 2006 #9 of 6277
    josborne

josborne New Member

Jun 18, 2003
    I haven't ordered a S3 yet, but I did call TW here in Raleigh, NC. They charge 1.75 per card per month, but charge 49.99 installation per card. Anyone else here live in Raleigh get the same answer?

10. Sep 14, 2006 #10 of 6277
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Heh - I went to Middle & High School in Nisky. ;-)

11. Sep 14, 2006 #11 of 6277
    SoBayJake

SoBayJake New Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Los Angeles here, previously Comcast, not Time Warner. Again, no self-install. :-(

First card is free, second is $6.95 (I think its counted as an additional outlet, which I'll see if I can get removed).

Install is usually $28.99 (didn't say if that was for 1 or both), but they waived it without me even asking as I was on hold for about 15 minutes since the CSRs computer didn't pull my account up from caller ID, and when he put in my number, it decided to lock him out of the system and he needed a supervisor.

Others in Redondo Beach (TWC, formerly Adelphia) have reported $1.75 for each card. When I asked the CSR about that, he said they expect things to stabilize, and he "just got out of a meeting where they were dropping cable rates by $15"...riiiiight! :)

I can't complain too much tho..I pay $54 for cable (with digital box) and 6 Mbps internet. Its part of the deal Playa Vista got to let Comcast offer local phone service, and not a telco. Its a great price if you don't want a home phone (which I don't) since home phone service is $40 (no way to get it cheaper...at least not yet...we'll see what TWC does).

12. Sep 14, 2006 #12 of 6277
    Lisa898

Lisa898 New Member

Jan 29, 2005
    I've been out of town for a few days and just got home to see the message on my TIVO re HD, so I'm a little behind the curve. I ordered the box immediately, but I'm trying to figure out what you guys are talking about re cable cards? Do you need this card to get the HD?

I already have an HD cable box for watching TV if I happen to be home and don't need to rely on my Tivo. So I have HD. My question is, can I not hook it up through that box (or can I at least hook it up through that box until I get an appointment?). What does the cable card do?

I have brooklyn time warner and frankly they suck and getting an appointment for a day I can make is difficult. also, they lie and don't show up and then tell you they showed but you didn't answer the phone so they assumed you weren't there. Due to my difficulties with these guys, I'm extremely interested in whatever answers you can give me.

13. Sep 14, 2006 #13 of 6277
    SoBayJake

SoBayJake New Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    You cannot record HD from that box. Without a CableCard, you can only get HD from OTA.

To re-encode HD that is output from a STB would be far to expensive.

You can ditch the STB, get a couple cable cards (maybe even save $ each month), and just use the TiVo directly.

Or if you can get HD from an antenna, go that route, and save even more.

14. Sep 14, 2006 #14 of 6277
    ahaley42

ahaley42 New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I asked for a manager to complain about a required tech having to be sent out to do this. They apologized and said it was stupid but it was the rule. She bumped my installation from next month to this saturday and waived the $30 fee. Got the S3 today and Fry's and will be ready for the tech once I upgrade to my 750GB drive.

15. Sep 14, 2006 #15 of 6277
    skweaz

skweaz New Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Was this by phone or did you go to a field office?

16. Sep 14, 2006 #16 of 6277
    Lisa898

Lisa898 New Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really not very good with technology. I had thought there was a difference between a TV with an HD decoder (or something) in it or not. I thought the decoder part was in the set top box if you didn't have it in the TV. Does TIVO plus a cable card replace all that?

17. Sep 14, 2006 #17 of 6277
    SoBayJake

SoBayJake New Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    The TiVo will completely replace your set top box. It will pass the HD content to your TV via HDMI/DVI and/or component inputs.

You would lose PPV (Pay Per View) and VOD (Video On Demand) by having just the TiVo..so if that's important to you, you would need to keep a set top box around for those purposes (but probably wouldn't need to be a DVR set top box).

Oops..meant to say "lose PPV" not "love PPV!"

18. Sep 14, 2006 #18 of 6277
    micro98

micro98 New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Time warner syracuse

was told that it would be 3.25 each and no install fee for truck coming to my house

19. Sep 14, 2006 #19 of 6277
    Lisa898

Lisa898 New Member

Jan 29, 2005
    I don't have a DVR box. I have an HD box and a Series 2 tivo. I switch the display on the tv depending on what I'm watching.

Completely unrelated question-Time Warner won't talk to me until I can read them a model number. I need to get a Saturday appointment because of my job. It always seems to take weeks to get a Saturday appointment, so I called now to schedule it.

Time Warner keeps asking me for the model number. They are claiming that the cable cards only work with 2 models. Since I can't give them a model number they won't talk to me.

Anyone know anything about the Series 3 HD's not working with Time Warner cable cards? Doesn't really make sense to me if the only way to have the Tivo work is with the card.

20. Sep 14, 2006 #20 of 6277
    Ruth

Ruth Now with toddler

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Lisa, from the sticky Series 3 FAQ thread:

They probably want to cross-check that it's an approved CableCARD device. They should have this list: http://www.cablelabs.com/udcp/downloads/OC_PNP.pdf It shows 2 TiVos on it so that is probably where they are getting their info about 2 TiVos being supported. (No idea what device the second model number is for.)