1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd tuner management observation

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jwbelcher, Oct 31, 2013.

1. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I've been watching my tuners since the last software update and noticed something kind of strange. By the end of the day I have 2-3 tuners on the same channel. I think this is might be due to recordings occurring on these channels, but would have thought Tivo would pick the tuner already on that channel vs using a different tuner for the recording. When flipping through the 6 tuners using the Live button, its unexpected, but I get the same channel more than once.

2. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    My guess has been that is due to multiple Suggestions recording. The TiVo attempts to return to channels it had been on before the Suggestions were recorded, but only keep track of one channel (code from single tuner days, I guess) and returns multiple tuners to that channel.

3. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    I've seen to more recently on a Tivo HD, fwiw. No suggestions being recorded (LONG since turned off). I'm guessing it must've been a reboot or something.

4. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I do see those channels being recorded in the suggestions. Haven't had a reboot today, but I've seen that after reboot too. I'm thinking it must be the suggestions that's doing it to me. I'm going turn off suggestions and see if that's it.

5. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Yes, a reboot will also put all tuners on the same channel. That wasn't the original poster's issue given his description, so I think his problem is Suggestions.

6. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I've had this happen a bunch of times lately too.. I use padding a lot so *intentionally* end up on the same channel, but have seen it other times (not KNOWINGLY involving a reboot) too.

7. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Okay, definitely not suggestions doing it. I had a tuner switch at 3 pm today for no apparent reason (no scheduled record or suggestion recorded). From what I can tell, the tuners are being reset to whichever channel that is on the active tuner. Another observation, back in September I used to have tuners showing "Channel Not Available" message routinely through the day. Since the last software release, I never, not even in the morning have that message. Its difficult to keep 6 tuners active with recordings in the SDV world - I would expect to see this more often that I actually do these days.