1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Netflix network parameters on TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by alexb, Dec 18, 2016.

1. alexb

alexb Active Member TCF Club

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    So my TiVo reports that my IP Params as:
    • IP = 192.168.1.220
    • GW = 193.168.1.1
    • DNS 1 = 192.168.1.1
    • DNS 2 = 8.8.8.8
    • DNS 3 = none
    This is what I would expect.

Netflix shows:

Wired:
    • Name = br0
    • IP = 192.168.1.220
    • Connected = yes
    • Default = yes
    (this ^ is normal)

Wired:
    • Name = tun0
    • IP = 1.11.171.128
    • Connected = yes
    (this ^ is not normal it should say eth1)

DNS:
    Ok questions :)
    • I assume that Netflix is actually showing the true interface config of the TiVo and the TiVo UI is not. Correct?
    • Why on earth are there 2 sprintlink (Maryland) ISP IP addresses in my DNS list? No other Netflix client in my house has the extra 2 DNS ip addresses.
    • More worrying is why is there a vpn / tunnel endpoint interface with an IP assigned to a China ISP?
    I have a bolt plus with latest RC, could somone else with latest RC take a look at their Netflix network settings page?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  2. alexb

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    this is only happening on one of two bolt+ i will ring support

--edit--
    sigh not a word of sense from the chat support - it really is terrible support

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  3. alexb

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    Ok i figured it out. The tun0 if gets created when one sets up OOH streaming. I assume this is a VPN or STUN connection back to TiVo somewhere, this still doesn't explain why they used a 1.x.x.x/8 IP address as it is actually a public routable IP. They should be using a private range or a block from their own range they have deemed non-routable. TiVo engineering making a questionable decision here.

It also means the IP settings in the main tivo menu cannot be trusted as complete.

4. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    I noticed this last night myself-- like you no other Netflix client in my home reports anything other than my router/gateway as the DNS. So now I'm curious is it TiVo or Netflix using this DNS?, like you said perhaps Netflix is revealing network details that TiVo UI does not? A bit of searching and I find some articles about Netflix hard coding Google DNS a couple years back to curb people trying to bypass region blocking but nothing about using Sprint cache-only DNS servers. FWIW the DNS Benchmark tool shows these servers as DNSSEC enabled.

All of this reminded me this recent post where user was told by Hulu his streaming problems were DNS related and TiVo would need to fix it. How is TiVo different than any other network device that uses router advertised DNS? I asked the question in another thread recently and continue to wonder has TiVo somehow placed themselves between user connecting to streaming services? I'm just speculating, that post could just be another instance of streaming provider & TiVo passing the responsibility around with neither taking ownership of the issue.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  5. alexb

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    I am 90% confident that the Netflix app is revealing more details of the underlying Linux implementation than the TiVo UI does.