1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not happy with the ads in the UI

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by JulienPDX, Jun 25, 2012.

1. JulienPDX

JulienPDX New Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Portland,...
    I may be late on this post, and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to notice but really??

Every time I pause a show, I see an annoying star icon with some sort of ad. I just now noticed this and find it very distracting and annoying :mad:

I emailed TiVo today to find out if there was a way to turn it off and apparenly there isn't.

TiVo has partnered with various companies to offer special promotions exclusively to TiVo subscribers. These promotional offers appear on TiVo Central and other TiVo screens, and are highlighted by a star icon. They range from promotions for new movies and music artists, to products and services available to TiVo subscribers. To take advantage of one of these offers, simply select it and follow the instructions on the screen. TiVo, is in part, advertiser supported, so there is no way to opt out of TiVo promotions. TiVo sends these promotions to subscribers as part of the TiVo Service.

Wow, so not only do I have to pay 19.99 for TiVo service; but now I'm getting ads thrown into the UI ala Comcast or some cable-provided DVR. This isn't cool.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Search remains your friend. Old news.

3. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I agree. I can easily ignore the pause ads. Can't for the life of me even remember a product that has ever been advertised in there. But I can't stand the discovery bar ads (especially the current Bounty and Woolite ads). They stick out to the point of being distracting.

I wish Tivo would reconsider their advertising approach.

4. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Bounty offered a $1 coupon for just a click. Let's see if I get it, said a few weeks for mail.

5. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    Doesn't the down arrow while paused turn off the pause menu for the duration of viewing that single recording?

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yep, and using the 'Select Play Select Pause Select' backdoor code quickly hides the ads right after you pause on all your shows.

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well I do find the discovery bar fairly useless but did ask for both the Bounty and Woolite coupons. I have received both coupons and the free sample of Woolite.

8. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Well....considering the alternative, TiVo not surviving after getting seriously cross-wise with the ad agency/marketing guys, I consider the current stalemate solution quite acceptable.