1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

non-subscription movie rental with closed captions?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bbrown9, Jul 15, 2012.

1. bbrown9

bbrown9 Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I think I already know the answer to this, but I'm posing the question anyway just in case I missed something.

Are there any on-demand movie rental services available for TiVo that provides closed captions and does not require a monthly subscription?

I think the only service left for TiVo that is not a subscription service is Amazon, correct? (I'm not talking about Prime - I know that's not available yet)

Unfortunately they don't povide closed captions.

Isn't there a law requiring closed caption support?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The only source currently that has CC is Netflix that streams movies, as well as any DVDs from any where.

Edit: Adding: Even though my Tivo S3/HD does not include CC, playing titles using the Wii shows the CC options as well as on the ipad on Netflix.

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Netflix has captioned a bunch of their streaming. Subtitled, actually. Amazon does not. I know you said non-sub, but it's only $8/mt, and if you need captions, it's worth it.

At this time, captions aren't required for non-standard viewings (Internet, streaming, etc). However, a recent court decision may change that. We can only hope.