1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy fan on HD XL

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by davewil58, May 23, 2012.

1. davewil58

davewil58 New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I have had my HD XL for 2.5 years. Now, all of a sudden the fan is noisy sometimes when it runs. Does anyone have any suggestions on a replacement fan and how difficult is it to install. Thanks in advance!

2. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    If you can replace a computer fan, then you can do this one - I have done it myself. I just cannot remember the size you will need - someone here will likely post the right size, but you could always just take the fan out and measure it yourself.

3. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Very simple to install. About the easiest repair job on a Tivo. You will need to open the Tivo up, which itself requires a torx driver(a screw driver for sort of star shaped screws). There are online guides to be found detailing the task, if you need help(recommended).

You can get the official replacement fan from weaknees.com for about $20 or so(total shipped price, last I checked).

You can find Tivo replacement fans on ebay for about $10 shipped, which people seem satisfied with.

You can also use appropriately sized computer case cooling fans from places like newegg, etc. If you go that route, make sure it is deemed(labeled, etc) to be a "quiet" or "silent" fan. Some computer fans can be very noisy.

If you do some searching here, you will be able to find threads on the topic for more details.

4. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    If your handy see this post #5 in this thread for how to lubricate the fan. That post is for a TiVo Premiere but the technique may also apply to the TiVo HD XL.

I found it quite easy to do and made a LOT of difference. The fan in my Premiere went from raising hell to quieter than a mouse.

Good luck

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The fan's size is a 70mm x 70mm x 25mm. It does not matter if it has 2 or 3 wires as only the red and black are used.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yep, the TivoHD/HDXL's are similar to the Premieres in how the fan is attached to the case.
    I was going to link that thread, but you beat me to it.