1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No way for DVR2 to work with Direct TV?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by HardB, Jun 19, 2012.

1. HardB

HardB New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is there no way to get the old Hughes DVR2 to work with my Direct TV? I had used it when I originally got Direct TV, but when I switched to a common dish with the rest of my apartment building, the tech said I couldn't use it anymore. I eventually moved to a townhome and I would like to use the old unit on one of my tvs. I remeber a Direct TV tech admiting that he had heard of a possible firmware update? IS this true? Has anyone got the DVR2 to work with Direct TV recently?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It will work if it's current on firmware and was at one time activated on your account.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    And what other equipment and dish type do you currently have? That old DirecTivo won't work with a newer Single Wire Multiswitch dish setup.

4. HardB

HardB New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    It was activated on my account at one time. In fact it was the first box I used when I signed up for Direct TV. However, I don't think it's firmware has been updated. How do I update the firmware? Is there a patch I can download from this forum?

5. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    You will have three issues here.

1) Wiring. This unit is not compatible with the newer single wire multiswitch system. It needs the old style wiring (old style multiswitch, and one dedicated, unshared cable for EACH tuner, running from the multiswitch to the dvr). You will need two cables if you want to use both tuners. Also, if this dvr is not hacked, it will need a phone line connection.

2) Software. Recently there was a change to the guide data. In many (most?) local markets tivos with old software could no longer receive local channels. 6.4a is the version of sofware needed. There have been widespread reports of units failing to auto-update. DirecTV appears to be "playing dumb" on the issue. IMO, it's a problem that may never be resolved. There are means of manually updating the system, but it involves pulling the drive and hooking it up to a computer.

3) Activation. The HDVR2 is from a time before RID (receiver ID) boxes. DirecTV will not activate non-RID boxes anymore. There *MAY* be an exception for people who have previously had a box activated on their account, but that is by no means certain. There is a workaround to this. A non-RID box can use a card that is programmed to any other reciever. As long as there is an active subscription on that card, it should work. You just have to put that card in the hdvr2, and go to the directv website and click "refresh services" for that card, and it will start working in that box. Because the box does not have a RID, the card has no way of knowing it's not in the box it is supposed to be in, and it will go ahead and work.