1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No video signal on the channel?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by twhiting9275, Jul 2, 2014.

1. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    I had a Roamio go bad last week (first Tivo I've had in years go bad), and had Amazon send me another one, since they shipped the initial one. Problem is, when I try to record HD (sd is fine), in playback, I get:
    Out of 3 Tivos in the house, this is the only one that gives me this, and yes, I can sit right there and watch the show while this is recording, yet it will still not give me the video when it's done.

2. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Are you cable or OTA?

If you are cable, its likely that the cablecard isnt paired/configured correctly, needs new firmware and also if you have a tuning adapter it might not be setup/configured correctly.

Or, you picked something wrong when setting it up and you need to re-do guided setup.

3. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    Cablecard, trying setup now, we'll see if that works.
    I find this very odd, honestly, first problem I've ever had with TiVo service like this. Like I said, I can watch the channel, even when recording. If the setup doesn't work, I'll have to see if the CC can ping the card and reset it.

4. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    A bit of an update on this:

This also appears on transferred programs. I mean, things taken from PC, other Tivos. If they're not watched immediately, this happens, so it's not the cable signal.

I have a request in with the cable co. to double check the card configs, not sure if that's going to help.

Any other thoughts where this might be acting up??

5. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    I've seen things like this happen when I remove a cablecard and don't put it back in, or when I have changed to a different cablecard. Usually on "pak" channels, with Cox. They have some sort of odd protection mechanism, in my market, which nobody here acknowledges is possible (or everybody tells me is not possible).

Example: I record The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy on IFC, which I have since watched more than once, after recording. Then, I remove or replace the cablecard, and the TiVo will state it didn't record the program due to no signal, and I can never watch that copy of it again. All the recordings from channels that work without the "CP Auth Received", status on the Cisco/SA cablecard will play back, but those that won't work without that second-stage of pairing will never play back again, unless the same card is reinstalled, and fully paired and authorized. Upon checking the CCI byte for the channels these programs recorded from, I find most are 0x00 (not protected by this flag).

It started after a certain cablecard firmware revision, about two flash updates back, did not happen before then, and continues this way ever since, even after migrating from Premieres to Roamios, and swapping my cablecards for different ones from Cox.

6. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    Turns out (oddly) that the expander drive was causing the issue. Unplugged that, told it to use just the base drive, and the problem went away
    hmmm