1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Streaming Over LTE?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tturner23, Dec 16, 2013.

1. tturner23

tturner23 New Member

Aug 17, 2008
    My LTE is many times faster than the majority of the free wifi I can find anywhere, why can't I stream live shows on the go via LTE?

Edit: Comcast (Xfinity) is streaming live TV to my phone over LTE why can't TiVo?
  2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It isn't allowed because Apple requires you be able to adapt to a lower quality on cellular than TiVo currently supports. TiVo said early next year support for streaming over LTE will be added to the iOS app.
  3. aristoBrat

aristoBrat New Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Wow, sitting here in the service lounge at a car dealership and using their wifi to stream, the quality is so low it's hard to imagine that Apple requires TiVo to support even lower quality. Lol
  4. tturner23

tturner23 New Member

Aug 17, 2008
    My phone is jailbroken so I can trick the app into thinking it's on wifi and I have a perfect picture with 6 or 7 (out of 7) "quality" bars on LTE. My girlfriend on the other hand can't stream unless I turn on my wifi hotspot. It just seemed silly of TiVo, I didn't know it was an Apple rule. Looking forward to legit LTE streaming in 2014 but not looking forward to the lower quality it will come with.

5. takeagabu

takeagabu New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Are you still able to start on wifi and switch to LTE?

I always thought it was so people don't accidentally eat through a monthly data quota in an hour.
  6. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    The requirement imposed by Apple to approve video streaming apps does not require that the app stream at the lowest bit-rate, just that the app be able to stream at the lowest bit-rate. The only change you should see when the app is updated to allow cellular streaming is being allowed the actually initiate a stream while on LTE; you shouldn't see any quality loss since your connection speed would allow the Tivo app to continue streaming at the quality you're currently seeing.