1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no signal on new tv, still working older tv

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Samurai93, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Samurai93

Samurai93 New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    We just upgraded our tv to a Samsung and we only get menus on our series 3 and a lost signal on live tv. I can take the hdmi cable and plug it into the old tv can see.the live tv signal just fine. I am sure this.must be an issue with tivo and some kind of handshake. Any ideas and how to fix it. I got a live signal for about 8 hours and then lost it.

Dan

2. worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Series 3 ... try changing the video format the TiVo is using by pressing the format button on the front panel and cycle through the different video formats. Maybe the TiVo is using a video format your TV can't handle.

3. Samurai93

Samurai93 New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Tried all the formats on the tivo, no good. It worked for a bit. And then stopped again. Tried rebooting the tivo/in every combination. Thinking it. would be a help issue.

This is a brand new samsung 4k tv. Would assume it should handle anything the tivo can throw at it. All tivo menus are visible and play sounds.

4. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    If it doesn't work at all then it could be some kind of incompatibility but if it works intermittently then your HDMI port (on the Tivo) might be failing. They weren't properly strain relieved and soldered with brittle non-lead solder so the connection to the motherboard often fails.

There are a couple old threads about failing Tivo HD HDMI ports.

5. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Tivo menus are always visible? Sound works? Doesnt sound like its the TV. When your Tivo menus are visible, do you have live TV in the PIP? Sounds to me like you have a bad connection to your cable/antenna to the Tivo.

6. Samurai93

Samurai93 New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The tivo works except for live tv. I can prerecorded shows just fine. Sounds for menus work, but no sound for video for live tv. I can unplug l ugh.and plug into an old tv and live tv works fine on it.

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    This really sounds like an output format/resolution issue. Have you tried going into the settings and using a fixed format to see if that has any effect? Are there any settings on the TV itself that might be affecting the HDMI signal or port?

8. Samurai93

Samurai93 New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Ok so the it side of me came out and I think I have narrowed down the issue to a drum copy protection handshake between the tivo and the tv. I put in component cables and disconnect the hdmi, same.issue. Hooked the brim to the old tv while the components were still on the new tv, and the live tv started right up. Pulled the.plug on the old.tv and.the.live signal on the new tv stopped. So I think I now know the issues is a handshake signal between the tivo and the tv. Media extenders, wii u, and blue ray player all play fine on all brim ports of the new tv... so the tivo is the one with the issue.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    OK, I'll bite: What's a 'brim' ? Wikipedia doesn't even know. Seems like it's a stand-in for HDMI in your post.

10. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i read in another thread (can't find the entry) that when you switch the hdmi cable from one tv to the next, in order for there to be a good handshake, you should disconnect both ends of the hdmi cable (from both the tivo and tv), then reconnect. have you tried this?

11. Samurai93

Samurai93 New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yep, tried that. Disconnected and rebooted everything as well. "Brim" would be hdmi and the auto correct. Sorry usually try to check that.