1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No signal, but recording anyway?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tomhorsley, Aug 20, 2012.

1. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    My cable is literally broken, dangling in the wind at the top of the pole out back. The TiVo knows enough to say "searching for signal" on every channel, but I still see the red recording lights come on from time to time. Is it really recoding a few hours of no signal, or is it just telling me it is planning to record if the signal should happen to come back?

2. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Does it come on at times when you have something set up to record in the "To Do" list? I've seen mine on at times during the middle of the night when nothing is scheduled to record so I've suspected that it was doing a SW update.

3. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    It comes on both for scheduled recordings and for "suggestions", even though there is no signal to record. I haven't checked to see if any of these mythical recordings actually appear in my shows directory yet.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    They don't. That's the annoying part. You walk by the unit and see red light(s) on and think great, it's recording as scheduled, I'll come back and watch later. Then you find out later recordings are missing from My Shows and check in Recording History that it actually didn't record anything due to lack of signal. i.e. It gives the impression everything is recording OK when nothing gets recorded.

5. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    It's not recording. Since it is scheduled to record, the light comes on, and stays on for the duration of the scheduled recording, but as long as there is no signal, no disk space is being used. If a signal were to be picked up during the period, the recording would start writing to disk.

If there was no signal for the entire period, nothing will be listed in Now Playing/My Shows and the To Do/Recording History will indicate "Not Recorded" because of no signal.

6. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It's recording infomercial.

7. pmiranda

pmiranda New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    This is my biggest complaint with TiVo for as long as I can remember... it knows that it's not getting the program, but it doesn't try to retune, and it lies about recording something until it's over and then silently deletes it.
    This should be a big damn error message, not something it hides from you.
    We get ads on every screen and messages every week or two about channel lineups changing, but cable could be out for a week and it will happily ignore it.

8. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I think that the way they handle a missing signal is not unreasonable. The TiVo does have a tuner dedicated to recording that channel for the duration of the show. What would it retune to? I suppose they could put a warning message up on the video outputs (live TV or whatever) to tell you that the signal is missing, but there's a good chance nobody would be there to see it anyway. At least if nothing at all gets recorded, the TiVo will try again later to record that show, assuming that it's on again.

I would like to see them automatically try again later even in the case where only part of a show records, or where there was a signal for the whole show but there were so many errors that it's pretty much unwatchable. I'm OTA only. I suppose the too-many-errors situation occurs rarely with cable.

9. Rez

Rez Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Well, if you have to use a tuning adapter on your cable connection like I do, and that adapter fails to properly tune somewhere around 2% of the time like mine does - attempting to retune would let me get my requested show minus maybe the first 20 seconds. Instead I get a totally missed recorded with a notice that no signal was available. The TiVo should definitely attempt to re-tune when it finds no signal.

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Have you put a lamp timer on your TA yet?
    There's a thread around here somewhere about that.

11. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Yes, I didn't think of tuning adapter problems since I'm OTA only. You have my sympathy. Certainly TiVo needs to improve their software to do several quick retries followed by another retry every minute (say) for the duration of the recording until a signal is acquired.

12. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I have that issue on rare occasions, also. But the TiVo *does* attempt to retune- at least it says it does on the screen. Rarely seems to be successful, and I don't think it tries more than a few times and gives up. Each of the few times I have seen this/caught this, I was able to tune in on a SDV channel on the other tuner by just manually going there.

Thankfully, almost none of my important channels are SDV.

13. Rez

Rez Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Hadn't seen that suggestion, I'll have to go do some searching.