1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No picture on TiVo, help!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by billym99, Jul 12, 2012.

1. billym99

billym99 New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Hey Folks,

Searched around and can't seem to find any answers for an issue I'm having (w/ Tivo HD). We had a power outage the other night, since then I no longer get a picture when attempting to watch Live TV, just "searching for signal". It gets better... My TiVo will still record shows, and records them fine on the tuner that is not currently being watched, but as soon as i switch to that tuner during a recording, the recording stops despite the TiVo saying it's still recording. Example... this morning I set GMA to record at 7am, when I woke up I swapped tuners around 7:15a and started watching the recording, at 15 minutes in the recording ended (where I initially started watching, but as soon as I swapped I skipped the beginning of the recording). It will currently only attempt to record scheduled recordings, if the secondary tuner is not recording a scheduled program it will not have 30 minutes of video backed up on it. There is definitley a signal coming through, and the TiVo seems to still have the ability to record since I have several perfect recordings from this week. And one more thing, this is on ALL channels (HD, Digital, etc.) on my FIOS lineup. This didn't happen immediately after we got power restored. When I first booted it up Live TV initially worked ok. It happened sometime in the middle of Sunday night. My other TiVo (same model, same type of cable card) is working fine.

Is this a sign that the HDD is possibly dying? I've been using TiVo's for awhile, I've lost 3-4 HDD's in that time but never saw issues like this. Previously I was alerted by the unit locking up or getting a GSOD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    To me it sounds like a cablecard issue (reseat it), power supply issue (check the caps/restart) or you have a tuner that has gone bad.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Power cycle the TiVo.

Also how do Signal Strength and SNR (in DVR Diagnostics) compare for the "good" and "bad" TiVo's on the same channels?

4. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Do you have any analog source for TV channels? If so, pop out the CableCard and see if you can tune the analog channels. It almost sounds like there may be a problem with the Tivo capability to do the live buffering. I suspect, but do no know for sure, that the "live" signal you normally see from the Tivo is actually coming from the live TV buffer and not from the input signal directly. That would fit your symptoms and may still point to the drive being damaged. You should transfer your recordings off of that Tivo then pull the hard drive and run the long Western Digital drive test. If it passes, you may want to re-image the drive anyway. I have a factory image for the S3HD if you need one or you can probably find a link to it in the Upgrade Forum.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    On every TiVo, what you see when watching "live" is actually the 30 minute buffer.

You can compare it to the same signal fed straight to a TV tuner and see that there's a little bit of a time delay to the TiVo.