1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Parental Controls on TiVo app?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dslunceford, Oct 27, 2013.

1. dslunceford

dslunceford Active Member

Oct 19, 2000
    No. VA/D.C.
    With my move to a Roamio as a whole home system, using a TiVo mini and various iOS devices to view content in other rooms streamed from the Roamio, I'm surprised that there appears to be no parental controls for viewing via the iOS TiVo app.

Was actually a bit surprised that the Roamio settings weren't default for all devices when I set up my Mini, but could understand that...perhaps a mini is set up in a parent's room and they don't want/need to be entering a code to access content.

When I went to set up streaming for my 7 year old on his iPod, I discovered that I can stream anything from My Shows, even content that would typically require a passcode under the parental settings I use on the Roamio and Mini.

Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to limit content via the TiVo app streaming functions? There's nothing in the Parental Controls FAQ that addresses this.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    From http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2405

3. dslunceford

Oct 19, 2000
    No. VA/D.C.
    Thanks Dan. 1) They should add that to the Parental Controls FAQ vs just the Stream FAQ and 2) I think the answer is a bit of a cop out; there's no reason the app couldn't recognize rating info and serve up a password screen as necessary. It could be configured on the app per device, not necessarily revert to the Roamio/DVR settings.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I agree. The iOS app is developed by a 3rd party firm, so maybe parental controls just aren't high on their priority list.

5. dslunceford

Oct 19, 2000
    No. VA/D.C.
    Well, the third party will certainly build whatever features its client wants. I'm sure OOH was a priority. But given all the attention/advertising given to how TiVo Roamio allows viewing of shows anywhere, anytime, not including parental controls is something more and more customers will expect (not to mention a disconnect in features/functionality).

Also, to the point their FAQ makes on monitoring internet activity, my kids can't access Safari on their iOS devices. They only have access to a safe browser that limits what they can access.