1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more waiting - got a Roku for xmas

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bbrown9, Dec 25, 2013.

1. bbrown9

bbrown9 Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I'm tired of waiting for TiVo to fix the Netflix reboots and for Amazon Prime support. Now I don't have to wait. I got a Roku for Christmas. Now I have to figure out which HDMI device to unplug from my TV so I can use it.

2. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Time for an HDMI switcher :) You get the Roku3? I just got one, and it kicks the Vizio Co-Star, and Sony BluRay to the curb.

3. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    I got a Roku 1 for Christmas for Amazon Prime support. With my luck on these matters, that means TiVo will support it slightly after the return window for the Roku ends. :)

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Does the Tivo reboot after about an hour of watching on Netflix?

My Roamio does that.

5. ustavio

ustavio New Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Mine reboots at random on Netflix. It can go for a two weeks or two hours. It's simply mind boggling that TiVo and/or Netflix can't deliver a usable app. Netflix works great on my Blu-Ray players, Galaxy s3, Nexus 7 and PS3 (with profiles) wired or wireless. I get HD with no problems. The Roamio delivery of Netflix is haphazard, unreliable and unpredictable at best and simply garbage at worst. I've done everything I can think of on my end and spent wasted hours on the phone with TiVo and Netflix. I just won't use it anymore for Netflix.

Frankly, I'm quite disappointed overall on a number of levels. There are so many glitches and flaws that pop up, disappear and pop up again that I could sometimes kick myself for investing so much time and money in this product. I love the 6 tuners and large storage capacity and a few other do dads but........I'm contemplating an "overhaul" and expansion of my S3 TiVoHD platform and ditching the Roamio. It has always been more reliable and quicker.

If I had this many issues with a new car, I would return it under the Lemon Law.

6. pautler

pautler Member

Oct 10, 2013
    For what it's worth, I have a Roamio basic connected to an OTA antenna (no cable card, no TA) and I use Netflix streaming heavily and have never had a reboot (knock on wood). I wonder if perhaps there is a faulty piece of hardware or some sort of network issue with your setup? I'm running software version 20.3.8, which I believe is the latest.

-Joe

7. sterfry

sterfry New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    Belmont, NC
    I have had my Roamio basic for 4 months. I use it OTA and have only had 2 unexpected reboots. One was the first day with Pandora. The second was last week with Netflix. Zero reboots would be better but considering how many updates / changes there have been in 4 months I don't think 2 unexpected reboots is unacceptable.

Does using a cable card vs. OTA have something to do with Netflix stability issues?

8. dahacker

dahacker Member

Jan 14, 2004
    For the life of me I can not figure out why Tivo even let Roku into the streaming market. Tivo had a ten year head start. I'm sure a good amount of Roku owners are like me who have Tivo, but had to spend hundreds to buy decent Roku video streamers at each TV. Then now they obviously have fully capable and CPU powerful streamer with the Tivo Mini, and it still can only stream a few things?

My advice to any Tivo owners here that are troubleshooting anything dealing with Internet streaming on their Tivos is to not waste their time and get a Roku 3. Still loving the Tivo for their superior DVRs, but come on Tivo you are leaving streaming money on the table.

9. awsnyde

awsnyde Member

May 11, 2007
    Maryland
    I've had a Roku 2 for a while now. I haven't even set up my Amazon or Netflix accounts on my Roamio! (Other than that, though, I love the Roamio too.)

10. bbrown9

bbrown9 Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Crap, no. It's the LT version. Only does 720p. :(

I think I'll return it for the Roku 3.

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    10 year head start? TiVo hasn't been involved in streaming that long. Roku had the very first Netflix client on a STB. I would say that Roku had the head start and TiVo was more focused on DVR functionality until recently.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've yet to see a reboot on either of my Roamios while watching Netflix.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The Roku 3 is faster. Although I have a couple of Roku 2 boxes along with my Roku 3. If I were getting a new one I would get a Roku 3. But my two Roku 2 boxes work fine and I see no need to replace the with them Roku 3 yet

14. Fist of Death

Fist of Death Bon Vivant

Jan 4, 2002
    The Emerald...
    I've got a Roamio Pro and two Minis...and three Roku 3's to keep them all company. I've given up on using my TiVos for anything other than storing/replaying TV, and use the Rokus for everything else (Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Pandora, streaming from my Synology, etc.). I wish TiVo had incorporated this functionality into a single box, but I got tired of waiting for something that works and found another solution.

15. dahacker

dahacker Member

Jan 14, 2004
    I guess I'm thinking foot in the home. Tivo 1999. Roku 2008. Anyway, Tivo still hasn't caught up to Roku in streaming.

16. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Well to be fair Roku Inc. was a spinoff of Netflix who's sole goal was to release a cheap TV connected box that ran the Netflix streaming app. And Netflix is not only older than TiVo but envisioned streaming over the Net from day one.

So TiVo getting a multi-purpose DVR to run Netflix better than Roku, when Netflix writes the client and decides which platforms to optimize for and update more often, is a non starter.

But things are changing in TiVos favor with Netflix now supporting TiVo Premieres and Roamios with the latest native client. Only the new 5x faster Roku 3 is currently runs the latest Netflix.

17. jmcafee

jmcafee New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    While Netflix is streaming, my TiVo Premiere has been freezing, stuttering, buffering every 2 - 5 minutes and even rebooting completely (and you know how long that takes!) I've contacted TiVo more than once and they confirm their problems with Netflix, but no solution is forthcoming. From this forum, as well as the Roku forum, Roku seems to be the best solution for reliable streaming content. I love TiVo's interface and its remote is the best I've ever used, but come on TiVo...get your streaming act together or you'll be losing customers.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My TiVo Roamios and Minis are my go to boxes for netflix streaming. I rarely use my Rokus for Netflix any more. The TiVos are better.

19. wtherrell

wtherrell Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    I feed all my stuff into a Sony AV receiver with 6 HDMI inputs.