1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more new Premieres?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by eboydog, Jul 12, 2014.

1. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    I was just browsing Tivo.Com and went to the outlet store and noticed all they had was a couple wireless adapters, no more Premieres of any type listed!

2. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Why would they? What reason would someone want a Premiere over a Roamio? Any Premieres they may have had were probably "old new stock."

3. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I just noticed this yesterday too. I guess they have finally sold them all or gave some retailers a really good deal to take the rest of the inventory off of their hands.

4. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    They were still a good deal esp for those who need OTA and those who want a Tivo without needing the latest greatest model. After they put all the work in the change in UI code to update the Premiere with the recent summer update, I'm not sure what the business plan is as it doesn't make sense to put all that work into a product that is no longer sold.

Many of Tivo's business decisions don't make sense.

5. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Roamios have a higher margin. Letting old stock run out isn't surprising. Basically nobody makes those particular analog tuners anymore. Part of the reason Tivo wanted the analog waiver from the FCC going forward.

MSO partners still use and deploy Premieres. We can thank RCN's pressure for the Premiere's UI update, to keep it consistent with the Mini. That wasn't the original plan. They were likely going to EOL it sooner.

6. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    I didn't think about the cable companies leased Tivo's, yes other than the Pace boxes they are almost all Premiere.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Seems like a good time to look towards a special woot offer to come out.

8. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I bet the cost of manufacturing might have been the same or higher for Premieres over Roamios. in fact, its possible that costs were increasing on certain parts if manufacturers were trying to EOL them.

They had to kill AIR/Flash to get out from under it before it was 100% dead. It was not a good decision and they've suffered for it for years.

The speed upgrade for Premieres was a happy side effect, not the primary reason it happened. The software currently is lock-step with Roamios and they needed to get it onto a better software platform for the future. At some point down the road, Premieres will become a legacy product like the earlier generations have. You should be praising Tivo for being nice. Supporting Premieres with this update is a sign of respect for their customers, both retail and Cablecos. A LOT of other companies would have already retired their previous generation to a lower tier of support like security and stability updates.

9. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    For OTA users, the Roamio has a MUCH better OTA tuner.

I didn't know about RCN pressuring TiVo on support, but that makes sense, as more than half of their business comes from MSO partners, not retail. They'd probably be out of business without the MSO partners...

10. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
  11. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
  12. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    The upgraded 4-tuner Premiers are a decent deal, although with the service being $500, it probably still makes more sense to get a Roamio...