1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more forced sleep timer?? Good news if true

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by henrymc, Dec 8, 2016.

1. henrymc

henrymc New Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Left my mini playing live TV today and it was still playing 10 hours later, undisturbed. Usually it would time out after a few hours with the 'press any button' message. If it stays this way I'm a happy camper. It's actually like having a regular TV now.

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Others have reported this as a bug, needlessly taking up a tuner 24x7. But I guess as long as it doesn't interfere with recordings, then no harm.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2003
    That was my concern, as well, so I tested it out overnight --- and the DVR had no problem retrieving the tuner from the Mini to make all scheduled recordings.

Test: I left a Mini running, tuned to live TV and the remote tucked-away so I wouldn't accidentally reset its activity timer, and then set up enough recordings to consume all the DVR's tuners, scheduled for a time a few hours beyond the previous 4-hour timeout of the Mini*. When I came back, the Mini was on its screensaver and all the recordings had been made, with the critical 4th recording appearing to start right on time.

edit: * p.s. I did also verify that the Mini was still playing live TV beyond the 4-hour inactivity timeout, prior to the tuner being yanked back by the DVR.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    mdavej likes this.
  4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's interesting. It caused the Mini to free the tuner and not get it back. Now if there were not any EAS tests.......

5. Bfb1963

Bfb1963 New Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Its bad for me. I have to turn other minis into standby mode because it is hogging up my Bolt tuners when I am not actually watching that mini. Can we make timeout/sleep adjustable?

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That has been a request for years. But it will be fixed in the next released.

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You're serious, right? (I don't see sarcasm brackets). How do you know this? Would be great of course!