1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more dynamic tuner?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by m_jonis, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Dec 1, 2016 #1 of 21
    m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    Did Tivo make a change/update recently that would cause TWO mini's to "permanently" grab two tuners on a Tivo and not release them? It's been about a week now and I have 2 Tivo Premiers and 3 mini's. 1 mini has been off for a while (guest room), the other one in the guest room and the "regular" one were used last weekend over Thanksgiving. But here I am looking at my Tivo and it says only 2 tuners are available because the mini's have grabbed the other two. Well the one in the basement hasn't been used since Black Friday and the other one hasn't been used since last night.

??
    Yes, I could power cycle the Tivo itself, but what would cause it to behave this way (Tivo or the mini's?) Software update/change or something to how long it grabs a tuner?

2. Dec 2, 2016 #2 of 21
    krkaufman

krkaufman Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2003
    I haven't seen any reports to that effect. One possibility would be coincidence, if your Minis were out of Standby when a periodic EAS test was issued.

Another possibility is that the DVR is confused and could use a reboot.

3. Dec 2, 2016 #3 of 21
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I see it all the time. I'll turn on the TV the mini is connected to and it will be on live TV. The only way it goes to live TV on it's own is if you get an EAS.

4. Dec 2, 2016 #4 of 21
    mae

mae member

Dec 10, 2001
    USA

I had the same thing happen after the update (don't know whether the Plus, minis or both). The two minis which hadn't been used for a while were both stuck on live tv and even when placed on TiVo Central wouldn't release the tuners. A reboot of the Plus cleared it and it has been fine since.

5. Dec 2, 2016 #5 of 21
    m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    Thanks for the info. It's possible an EAS was issued (I wasn't home at the time). I did reboot the Tivo Premier XL last night. But today one of the mini's was still hogging a tuner. So I rebooted that mini. We'll see. I guess I'll just start leaving the guest bedroom ones unplugged totally from now on as I have 3 shows that record at once sometimes and this would've caused me to miss some.

(No, not buying the 6 tuner Tivo with all the crappy Rovi stuff going on. Right now the only reason I'm sticking with Tivo is that all my stuff has lifetime service on them).

6. Dec 2, 2016 #6 of 21
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It may be too late to check this now, but I find that TiVo box Diagnostics a valuable too. Each tuner has a "time since tune start", which is the number of seconds that tuner has been on that channel. A symptom of a restart of the host or an EAS alert on my cable feed is that all tuners will have the same time. When a Mini releases its tuner, that counter doesn't go to zero. I always put my Mini boxes into Standby before I turn off their TV. But something to look at next time you decide to look into this problem.

7. Dec 2, 2016 #7 of 21
    krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm not sure that a Mini using a tuner would block a recording. I believe the Mini would be booted by the scheduler if the user doesn't respond to a warning that the tuner is needed.

cybergrimes likes this.
  8. Dec 2, 2016 #8 of 21
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that's how it works too. It prompts the Mini saying the tuner is needed and if the user doesn't explicitly cancel the action then the tuner is taken back. Just like when you're watching live TV on the TiVo itself. It will prompt you that it needs the tuner and you have the choice to allow it to take it or cancel the recording. If you don't respond then the default action is to take the tuner back and record the scheduled show.

cybergrimes likes this.
  9. Dec 2, 2016 #9 of 21
    m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    Awesome, thanks for the info!

10. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    Hmm, it's been so long, I don't recall. It would be nice if it does work that way (not saying it doesn't, just don't remember). I do know that if the tuners are all in use at the time you "fire up" the mini, it'll basically force you to watch either recorded shows, or the shows that are currently recording.

Thanks for the info, though!

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's been a long time since I've run the test myself, but I'm 99% sure that's how it works. As you mentioned the opposite is not true. You can't grab a tuner from the host that's already in use, so if all tuners are already in use by the host (or other Minis) then you will not be able to watch live TV on the Mini at all. It use to be that even if a tuner was being used by a Suggestion it would be blocked from being used on a Mini, but I think they fixed that at some point. (can't say for sure on that one though as I don't enable suggestions)

12. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    Makes me wonder what would happen if I'm blocked from watching Live TV as a Mini user, and then tried to set what I want to watch as a recording. Hmmm...

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you really want to watch live TV you could just go to My Shows, select one of the recording programs, and stop it. Then that tuner would be free for you to grab.

14. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh, certainly. But not nearly as fun as finding a way to steal a tuner from someone else watching live. :)

15. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    A brief bit of testing revealed that the Mini user can set the desired program to record, but a user at the DVR, if watching live TV, can deny the "tuner needed for recording" dialog* and continue with whatever they were watching. However, if no one is present at the DVR to respond, the recording will automatically start about 30 seconds from when it was set, and the DVR will begin displaying the video. Interestingly, if the Mini user then stops the recording, tuner control stays with the DVR, continuing the program as a live TV session, and the Mini user will still be out of luck for live TV viewing unless another tuner has been freed-up in the interim.

A bit more messing around demo'd that if another Mini was the only other live TV viewing session (e.g. 1 Mini viewing live TV, with 3 active recordings on 4-tuner DVR), another Mini user could steal control of the live tuner if the initial Mini user isn't around to block the "tuner needed for recording" dialog*. In this case, the 2nd Mini user initiates a recording while the 1st Mini user takes out the garbage or visits the facilities, dumping the 1st Mini out to TiVo Central. The 2nd Mini user can then cancel the recording and begin watching live TV, having successfully wrested control of the tuner.

If both the DVR and another Mini were viewing live TV, the "tuner needed for recording" dialog is only displayed to the DVR user; and if the DVR user blocks the recording, then the 2nd Mini user is out of luck. The "tuner needed for recording" dialog isn't cycled through each current live TV session. In this case, to gain control of a live TV tuner, the interloping Mini user would need to set at least 2 recordings without another user blocking them, to steal a tuner for live TV viewing. Given the hassle and the 30-second delay in waiting for the "tuner needed" dialog to timeout, getting out of the recliner and putting another Mini into Standby is probably the quicker method.

* The "tuner needed for recording" message is actually titled "About to Start Recording..." and "{DVRname} box Needs Tuner" on the DVR and Mini, respectively.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Digital Man likes this.
  16. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    Errrr.... ummm... it's actually beginning to look like they may have. See this new thread, where several people are reporting symptoms similar to yours.

17. dmbfan36_23

dmbfan36_23 Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I've been having problems for a couple weeks now as well too.

18. DerekSF

DerekSF New Member

May 16, 2013
    Having same problems, our Premiere has been saying it needs to switch channels for a recording when we haven't used our 2 mini's in several hours, and only 1 red light on the XL4.

Our mini's have also been randomly disconnecting from the XL4 and giving c421 and c422 errors, won't be able to access my shows, but live tv works fine.

This release is really buggy, I'm on 20.6.3.RC7. Is everyone with problems sign up for beta program years ago? Is there a way to get off that list?

19. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    yeah... my downstairs mini no longer seems to auto release if I forget to hit TIVO before turning off the screen.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

20. compnurd

compnurd Active Member

Oct 6, 2011
    This has been fixed by two subsequent releases now