1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Longer a TiVo Customer, what can I do to use my TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by davidvoy, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1 of 14
    davidvoy

davidvoy New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I have switched to Dish Network Sattelite TV and no longer have Cable TV, so my TiVO HD sits doing nothing. I finally canceled my monthly TiVo access as well.

What can i do to still take advantage of my tivo, anything i can do to HACK it
    to open up features or use it in any way?

2. Aug 3, 2011 #2 of 14
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The only thing you can do with it is watch TV from your antenna. I think you may still be able to download the program guide, but that's about it. You won't be able to use any Tivo features, like recording, without a Tivo subscription.

3. Aug 3, 2011 #3 of 14
    davidvoy

davidvoy New Member

Oct 21, 2009

hmmm, i dont even think the guide works without a subscription.

I was hoping there may be a hack out there to totally use TiVo in any way , without having to subscribe.

I have installed a 1TB Hard drive, i guess i may just pull the drive and use it on my iMac.

Just wish someone had some cool HACK.

4. Aug 3, 2011 #4 of 14
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    No program guide either. Of course that requires connecting to the service for guide updates. Apparently, a check of the subscription status is one of the first things done when the Tivo connects to the mothership.

No subscription, means no program guide updates. With no subscription, all you can do is watch live tv(cable, ota), including fast forwarding and/or rewinding(pausing also) whatever is in the 30 minute buffer.

You will get a channel banner, displaying the channel name/number, but that's all. No program info.

5. Aug 3, 2011 #5 of 14
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Theft of service hacks are not allowed to be discussed on this site, and are obviously up to your own morals.

There are lots of threads which discuss what an unsubbed TiVo can provide.

I would sell it.

6. Aug 3, 2011 #6 of 14
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Last time I used Dish Network you could delete locals and receive a $5/mo credit. If you get good OTA reception you could resub your TiVo and use it for OTA. Other than that there are not many uses for an unsubbed TiVo HD.

7. Aug 3, 2011 #7 of 14
    Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Years ago there was a "guy" that could modify the series 1 TiVo to function like a VCR. His mod/hack would get rid of the nag screens and allow time and channel recording, like a VCR.
    There is no play list info beyond the date/time stamp.

8. Aug 3, 2011 #8 of 14
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I am using an unsubbed TiVoHD and two TiVoHDs with lifetime. Unsubscribed it provides 30 minute buffer and dual tuners with no program guide or program information. Any programs recorded when it was operating with service can still be played. I am not aware of anything else that can be done with it.

9. Aug 3, 2011 #9 of 14
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The only "hack" required to use an older S1 Tivo is to use one of the original OS versions that came with it (v 1.3, IIRC). There is no actual hacking involved.

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The way I read it somewhere you didn't have to use the older version of the software, but you had to have a unit that was made back when that was the current version.

I think it's another one of those "grandfathered because they didn't word something quite carefully enough to begin with" situations.

I've also read that you have to have a unit manufactured before October 2000 to use it manually, or to get TiVo customer service to send something down the line that flips a bit that lets it do that (but still call in to set the clock).

11. dishrich

dishrich Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    They no longer let you do that if you already have them...

12. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Maybe put it in your closet for when you come back to TiVo so you dont have to shell out money to get a new one.

13. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    . . . if it is a package that already includes the locals in the price, which is most of the FREE promotional packages. If one owns the equipment, one could still have locals as an option.

14. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    That would be nice. The Vulkano supplies an EPG at no cost. A hack should be possible for old TiVos.