1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Letterman Top Ten?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dwit, Jul 20, 2012.

1. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I record Letterman every night just for the top ten. I do realize, occasionally there is no Top Ten segment.

But this past Monday(?) after his 15 -20 minute stand up and intro, he said "we'll be right back with the Top Ten and Morgan Freeman"(or something to that effect). But I never saw a Top Ten.

Did I miss something. Has he ever done this? If he has, is there an "official excuse" for not having it(after announcing it)?

Just wondering? Thanks.

2. rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA
    They sometimes cut it for time.

3. rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA
    A weirder thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The show returned from the first commercial break and Letterman was already in the middle of interviewing the first guest (Channing Tatum I think). The local affiliate must have somehow "fast-forwarded" their feed. Craig Ferguson actually started 15 minutes early. I've never seen anything like it in my life. It seems really incompetent....someone should have been fired for it.

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Logical. Thanks.

5. BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    Absolutely! Fired and possible jail time! I mean if someone from the local affiliate can screw up this badly, even once, we need that person off the street and in lockup somewhere!

Heads should've rolled!!!

6. rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA
    Seems appropriate.

7. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    You work in a television master control where one man (or woman) does everything, and we'll watch you when you get fired for making a single mistake.

Geeze, give them a break. I can tell you've never had to work like that. :)

Now, if it happened all the time, that's a different story.

8. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Less Channing Tatum and earlier Ferguson? Where is the bad in this?

9. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Unless they are on a time delay it would be hard to FF Letterman as it is passed on directly from CBS so it would have not been a single affiliate thing.

10. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The non-East Coast stations don't record the satellite feed and play it back later anymore??

11. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    That Late Night show with Morgan Freeman and Gallager was a total train wreck anyway.

Dave: "What was it when you woke up in the hospital?"
    Gallager: "I DON'T KNOW!"

12. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Eh maybe, but who cares about those people :p

13. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Back when I was involved with live closed captioning in 1997-99, the networks had three separate feeds for their prime-time and late-night programming: Eastern/Central, Mountain (one hour later), and Pacific (three hours later). As far as I know, that hasn't changed.

Daytime was more complicated, but there were enough feeds that most affiliates wouldn't have needed to record a feed for later playback unless they were deliberately airing the shows "out of pattern" (something that was particularly true of NBC affiliates, but NBC made it easy for them by providing feeds of their daytime shows beginning as early as 5:00 A.M.).

14. ewolfr

ewolfr .

Feb 12, 2001
    SoCal
    We need ask phox_mulder to visit this thread. I think he works at one of the network affiliates in Salt Lake City.

15. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    The guide data for this episode said Michael Caine. But it was Morgan Freeman. Shouldn't someone be executed for that?

16. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    As far as I know, the only affiliates that record it and play it back later are in the Mountain Time Zone, probably Alaska and Hawaii too.

There are a few in the Pacific Time Zone that utilize the East Coast feed so they can start their late news earlier than their competitors.

There really isn't a way for any in the East or Central time zones do anything with the feed.
    It is fed "live to air", there isn't any way to skip over 15 minutes in the middle of the feed unless they are delaying it.

CBS gives stations 35 minutes for their local news between the end of Prime and start of Letterman.
    I could see some stations doing an hour long late news, then playing Letterman/Ferguson after the news.

phox

17. TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
  18. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I have never thought of this scenario, but I have always seen and remember Letterman starting at 11:35. At the same time I have always lived in 1 of 3 markets.

19. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    When I worked at a CBS affiliate the worst part of my job was having to flip Martha Stewart in 4-5 hrs. Luckily that was the daytime shift which I only worked when I first started and then later in my MCO career on rare instances.

20. rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA
    I am on the East Coast (DC market specifically) and it happened. I record Letterman every night and I look forward to whatever 'desk piece' he does following the first spot break and before the Top Ten. It was completely missing and the first interview was already underway when they came back from commercial....and Ferguson was on the last 15 minutes of my recording.