1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Internet, no search, in HDUI

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by wmcbrine, Nov 22, 2013.

1. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    My Internet was out briefly today, and I noticed something troubling: Search was greyed out on my TiVo, and didn't work at all, despite the TiVo having locally-stored guide data. Since this was a Premiere, I temporarily switched to the SDUI, did a "Search by Title", and successfully scheduled the recording I wanted. But if it had been a Roamio, I guess I couldn't have searched at all?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yup. When TiVo servers are down search doesn't work either. It's scary/annoying how dependent TiVo is making series 4+ dependent on always on internet.

3. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    No changes can be made in the To Do List either

4. hershey4

hershey4 New Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation

yeah, that's how they track our every move!!!!

Probably ad-related too.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Roamio and Mini don't even have an SDUI, so no internet makes them nearly useless.

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Actually, even with the SDUI, there was already a log of every remote key press. (That's how they can give reports on "most replayed ad during the Superbowl".) They don't need to force Internet dependence onto searches for that.

This seems more like laziness -- they build in this "cool" feature of searching the Internet, then don't bother to make sure it degrades gracefully in a not-always-on environment.

7. hershey4

hershey4 New Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    I think another part of the internet dependence is the list of the other video providers tacked on to the bottom of other lists... netflix, hulu, etc. I think a rep once told me that list is internet dependent to pick up the logos (which should be cached locally I would think).

8. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Still should fail gracefully - show the search screen and continue to allow local guide data searches. Just don't show results for the video providers - maybe show a note about troubleshooting connectivity or something instead (bonus points if the note took you to the relevant troubleshooting/networking screen).