1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No green LED, but fan works.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by erik401, Mar 10, 2009.

1. erik401

erik401 New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    We had a power failure this morning, and when I came home from work I found a dead TiVo.

I'm guessing that it's a hard drive problem (at least partially), but the situation's different than in the troubleshooting guide.

Has anyone had a similar situation? Is it possible to revive my TiVo! with a new hard disk?

Any help is appreciated!

Erik

Details:

TiVo! Series 2 TCD24008A
    Lifetime Service
    No LEDs light up
    Fan works
    No HD noise (it's too quiet)
    Does not power usb wifi adapter
    No video (no welcome screen or anything -- the scariest issue)

When plugged in to S-Video, there's a horizontal white bar that just keeps coming down a black screen, but I think that's probably just an issue with the line being connected with no signal.

2. erik401

erik401 New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    I tried disconnecting the hard drive, but nothing changed (and the drive does not spin up, besides a few clicks).

Erik

3. erik401

erik401 New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Tried again and the drive does spin up now (without the IDE cable).

Erik

4. ksmith

ksmith Keith

Aug 8, 2007
    Texas
    I had the same problems with a Series 2 240004A it turned out it was a capacitor in the Power supply underneath the heat shield,it was the 2200 uf 10 volt capacitor.If the top of it is bulging it is no good,since I replaced it no more problems it cost 3-4 dollars.Hope this helps.Keith

5. erik401

erik401 New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    The top of the capacitor is just barely bulging. I didn't notice it when I first checked everything out. I think I might even have a 2200uF capacitor somewhere. Hopefully this is the only problem!

Thanks,
    Erik

6. erik401

erik401 New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Thanks Keith! Replacing the cap worked perfectly.

Erik

7. ksmith

ksmith Keith

Aug 8, 2007
    Texas
    Erik,Glad to hear that it's working I found the solution here in Forum back when mine died I think the guy was Commador who posted about the bad capacitors on the power supply.Thanks,Keith

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Get a UPS. An Uninterruptible Power Supply should be required for a TiVo.