1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No cbs on charter after 12-31-08

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tootal2, Dec 20, 2008.

1. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    There wont be any cbs on charter st. louis after 12-31-8. Cbs wants 1 cent a day per customer from charter. Wont cbs lose more then that from ads on charter?

I get cbs hd ota on my tivo hd:)

2. jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980 Unregistered User

Mar 1, 2008
    Newport...
    When I was in Idaho, we lost Fox on TWC. It was gone for more than a year when I moved. I'm not sure if they ever got it back or not, but it was for the same reason.

The cable company argued that they were extending Fox's coverage, and thus the value of commercial time slots and the network itself. The Fox station argued that the cable viewers spent most of their time watching the network stations and for that reason the network stations added the most value to TWC's lineup. Yet, the networks weren't making any money off of the deal.

Both arguments are true, but everyone knows that in the end the customer will be paying the fee. OTA wasn't an option up there either. I do know that TWC lost a lot of customers in that area. But they did agree to reimburse customers for any Fox shows downloaded via iTunes.

Here is the resolution

3. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The cable company and the network are playing chicken with each other.

4. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    New Jersey
    With ad revenue down, who can blame them?

5. timr_42

timr_42 New Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    I hate Charter. If I lose CBS, that just might push me over the edge and loose cable. The thing that kinda keeps me is that I was planning on getting an HD Tivo and have to have cable.

6. pdonoghu

pdonoghu New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    If you can get over the air reception, with a Tivo HD you can connect an antenna (in addition to the cable), and get CBS and other locals via the antenna.

7. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Cbs in St. Louis works fine from the antenna in hd. i live in eureka and have no problems getting cbs hd with a antenna.

Also charter works fine with cable bards

8. jimisham

jimisham New Member

Nov 28, 2001
    stevensville...
    $3.65 a year per subscriber adds up to a lot of money. The St. Louis Business Journal says Charter has 440,000 subscribers in St. Louis.

9. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    This same thing is happening in Texas. ABC television affiliate WFAA in Dallas will not be carried to 1300 customers Jan. 1 (WFAA wants 1 cent per household per month from Charter). Charter refuses to pay. The bill adjustment to customers? A mere .31 a month if Charter would simply comply. Charter is the Grinch who is stealing ABC programming from customers albeit the threat from WFAA. (A Belo broadcasting company).

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    It won't stop at $.31 cents - once one local channel gets the fee then all of them will want it. Most local markets have 7-10 core local channels plus after they get 1 cent per day you know what happens next - 2 cents - 3 cents ....

11. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    My Mom is in this boat, and I don't know what I'm going to do for her. Her independent living place is Charter-only, and I don't want to have to go digital (she's 82 and understands the TiVo because she's had it for years). I'm hoping by the end of the year one of them will blink.

12. visionary

visionary HAVE BRAIN WILL USE!

May 31, 2006
    Norfolk Va.
    Same thing happening here in Norfolk area, Charter is in Suffolk here so I am not in it, but the other stations are telling people to tune in their news instead, like the other station and ABC is going off!! That is way they word it.

13. lafos

lafos Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This seems to be a trend. Mediacom got into an issue with Sinclair, which handled Fox in my area in Iowa, losing the channel for a while. Then after I moved to a TWC area in Ohio, TWC and the NBC affiliate had a spat, causing the loss of NBC for a couple of months. I suspect that we'll see more of this, not less.

14. timr_42

timr_42 New Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    KMOV.com is reporting that they have reached an aggreement with Charter.

I wonder who blinked?

15. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    What I don't understand is how this even happens. Isn't there still a "must carry" rule? How can you have a "must carry" rule the cable companies are bound by, and at the same time leave it up to the stations to decide if they'll let the cable company carry them?

16. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    New Jersey
    Under FCC rules, a station can either force the cable company to "must carry" and expect no compensation, or don't force "must carry" and instead offer retransmission consent, usually for a fee.

The net result is that the bigger stations (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX affiliates and O&Os) can charge money for their signals because pretty much everyone wants to carry the big four, whereas the smaller, usually independent stations can force the cable companies to carry their signals on cable when otherwise they wouldn't be carried.

17. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    I recall the must carry rule. I think it applies unless the station mandates a fee for carrying the broadcast in which case the must carry rule isn't enforced.

18. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Will kmov be in hd on charter now? Was that just for the non hd channel?

19. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    My opinion is if the local station wants money from the cable company screw em. See how many people watch them OTA, they seal their own fate by doing that.

20. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I wonder what would happen if Charter brought in the ABC affiliate from Houston for example. Could they do that? Or is there a law that would prevent that?