1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Audio on Four Channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by generaltso, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1 of 275
    generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Since I got the cable cards installed, I haven't had audio on four digital channels. The video is fine, but there is no sound. Before the S3, I had a digital cable box that didn't have this problem on those channels. I called TiVo support first and was told that it sounds like a problem with my cable provider. I had a tech from Adelphia come out today to look at the problem and he had no clue. He hooked up a digital cable box and confirmed that there was sound on those four channels. Since there's no sound on those channels with EITHER cable card, he concluded that it's not a problem with the cards. He basically said to call TiVo.

Now what?

2. Oct 3, 2006 #2 of 275
    hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Did you not hook up your S3 before the cable cards were installed? If so did you have sound then?

3. Oct 3, 2006 #3 of 275
    generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I did hook it up before I had the cable cards. But all four of the channels with no audio are digital (above 100), so they weren't available before the cable cards were installed.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #4 of 275
    hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    How does your some come through? Is it through digital optical, or through hdmi or some other way?

5. Oct 3, 2006 #5 of 275
    generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    It's HDMI directly to the TV.

6. Oct 3, 2006 #6 of 275
    hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Have you got it set up for dolby digital sound? If so have you tried going digital to PCM? I'm a bit confused about the 4 channel in the first place but your should be getting some type of sound, no doubt.

It may be a bad unit.

7. Oct 3, 2006 #7 of 275
    generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I have it set on digital to PCM. I can't think of anything that would cause just these four channels to have no audio. Even if it's a bad unit, why would it just pick four channels? I don't get it.

8. Oct 3, 2006 #8 of 275
    mwarner

mwarner New Member

Dec 12, 2000
    North Carolina
    I have this exact same problem, but on only one channel. With my SA8300HD box, sound was fine. With the TiVo, video is fine but no audio at all.

I also have it hooked up thru HDMI directly to the TV. I have tried changing the dolby digital settings in the Tivo, but it hasn't solved the problem.

Of course, the channel is G4, so no big loss there.

-Matt

9. Oct 3, 2006 #9 of 275
    generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I don't really care about three out of the four channels, but I do watch the National Geographic Channel, which is one of the affected. For what it's worth, G4 works fine for me.

10. Oct 3, 2006 #10 of 275
    gayste

gayste Love TiVo!

Feb 27, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    I have no sound on exactly one channel also (National Geographic Channel, kind of good stuff but not imperative). It is very odd, I have the tivo connected to the TV via HDMI but i use the sound from the receiver (via optical cable). The channel comes in fine with my cable box connected to the receiver the same way (via optical cable)

11. Oct 3, 2006 #11 of 275
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have a few channels with no sound as well. When I tune any of them they make my receiver click over to some weird mode I've never seen before. Luckily they're channels I don't care about so it doesn't really matter that they don't work.

Dan

12. Oct 3, 2006 #12 of 275
    generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Okay, so it sounds like this isn't necessarily uncommon. I'm going to try to get Adelphia to replace my cable cards, just to rule out the cable company as the problem. Assuming that doesn't fix it, I guess the only option is to RMA the TiVo?

13. Oct 3, 2006 #13 of 275
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Have you tried hooking up the analog audio outputs just to see if they get sound? I think the reason these channels don't work is not due to a TiVo defect or CableCARD problem but because these channels have an odd audio format which is not compatible with most digital audio systems.

Dan

14. Oct 3, 2006 #14 of 275
    generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    No, I haven't tried it with analog audio. I'll try that when I get home tonight.

15. Oct 3, 2006 #15 of 275
    mlkeller

mlkeller New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Yup, having the same problem with 2 channels and my FiOS cable cards. Thought it might have been a problem with the first cable card (Verizon only had one card when they first came), but I finally got the second cable card today and it has the exact same problem. Both work fine (even via an optical cable) on the HD receiver from Verizon, but not either via optical or HDMI on the Tivo. I'll try tonight with the analog as well and see what happens...

16. Oct 3, 2006 #16 of 275
    PPC1

PPC1 New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    HMMMN, I have noticed that I don't have the sound on Fox Soccer Channel. Since it was only one channel, I assumed it was a problem from the cable company's end. I will have to trouble shoot that. I still have my digital cable box, so I will hook that up and see if I get sound.

FWIW, I am hooked up with optical to a digital receiver, and analog connections to my T.V.

I hope I get this fixed before I want to record another Fan Zone presentation of EPL.

17. Oct 3, 2006 #17 of 275
    generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I just tried hooking up the S3 via analog composite cables for audio and video. That had no effect on the problem. There is still no audio on those same four channels. Does anyone with cable cards have audio on the National Geographic Channel?

18. Oct 3, 2006 #18 of 275
    xkleyx

xkleyx Member

Aug 29, 2004
    I read over this pretty quickly so I appologie if someone else said this. Have you tried updating your tv's firmware? I know that I had that same issue. The sound was fine, if I used the composite sound output. However, the sound on the digital cable channels wouldn't work through the optical output until I did a firmware update.

19. Oct 3, 2006 #19 of 275
    routerman

routerman New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Sounds like a problem with MPEG audio vs AC3 audio. Some Satellite programmers have only MPEG audio. Some programmers have both AC3 and MPEG audio. The cable boxes can decode either one. Many CableCARD TVs (and maybe Tivo S3's) only decode AC3. Which specific channels are you having problems with? I know National Geographic is one channel that has both MPEG and AC3 audio.

20. Oct 3, 2006 #20 of 275
    generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    There are no firmware updates available for my TV. It's a Dell W4200HD.

The channels with no audio are:

-National Geographic
    -Fuse
    -DIY
    -Lifetime Movies