1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL shifting second game of doubleheaders to 4:25 ET

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This is REALLY going to screw up CBS' Sunday night schedule. I hope (but I doubt) that CBS finally gets smart and does what Fox does, not schedule anything concrete during the 7-8 hour and shows a highlights package instead. There is some reason why they insist on 60 Minutes starting before 8PM on Sundays. I am not sure what that is. I watch 60 Minutes, but think they could table it until the season is over, and perhaps schedule special editions on weeks where there is no late game.

2. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Old people...old people love 60 Minutes and don't they go to bed at 8pm? :p

3. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    Football running over and the inflexibility of 60 minutes has screwed up so many SPs for CBS shows on Sunday night. My wife loves The Good Wife and it's fortunate for her we also watched CSI Miami so we could catch the overruns. But at least 4 or 5 CSI Miamis were recorded without the ending leaving us to go to the web if we wanted to see what happened.

I agree that FOX has the better model, and I never thought I would be saying that out loud.

4. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    We had a similar issue, but after the first time, I just padded the recording by 90 minutes.

5. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    This seems to be good news for people that actually watch the doubleheaders and want to see the conclusion of the early game before they cut away to show the late game.

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    From a football fan standpoint, I love it. From a fan of CBS Sunday night shows, I hate it. The scrambling to pad stuff is always annoying. I normally record the first 3 hours of CBS (yes I'm an old fogey and enjoy 60 Minutes) so padding into 10 o'clock has sometimes been a challenge considering sometimes there are two ten o'clock shows on other networks I might want to record and then have to make a choice.

7. BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Yeah, in that case (only two tuners) you have some choices to make. I wound up getting 4 tuners, and eventually 6 tuners. :)

8. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    The advantage FOX has is they don't have programming after 10pm leaves lots of options open.

I think has technology gets better you will see shows coming from the internet anyway as onDemand gets bigger. So it does not matter if football runs 45 minutes over all the shows coming from the networks will already be queuing on your DVR or just available streaming from the cloud.

9. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    CBS could easily fix this, but they choose not to.

10. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    How?

11. BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Start 60 Minutes an hour later.

12. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    The disadvantage is, a considerable number of Fox affiliates treat their 10 PM news programs as selling points for the station, especially in areas where a lot of people get up really early in the morning in order to get to work on time, because of some combination of traffic and a 6:30 AM stock market opening in the west. A 4:25 PM start really increases the chance of a game running past 8 PM (and Fox keeps NFL coverage going until all games end, as it invariably gets higher ratings than anything else they have on Sundays), and it's Fox's policy to show its entire Sunday night schedule, even if it means everybody's 10 PM news in the eastern half of the country starts at 10:15.

13. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    yup.

Or do some sort of post late game wrap up show like Fox. They could either push back the late local news or simply drop a portion of prime time programming. If the goal is to make sure the precious 60 Minutes stays intact for a full 60 minutes, they can do it.

14. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That fixes nothing. They don't want one of their best shows starting at 11pm. That totally messes up the dynamics of ratings and scheduling.

15. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

what show is that?

if its good, they can move it to another slot. Besides, if you have a DVR, why does it matter?

16. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    For us we got fed up with it and were tiring of CSI Miami. Deleted our season pass a season or two ago. Don't miss it at all.

And now the show has been canceled anyway.

17. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    There is really no way that CBS can schedule 60 Minutes at 7pm Eastern on days where they have an afternoon game.
    The earliest they can schedule something would be 7:30pm and most of the time it's going to be pushed until 8pm.

18. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    The whole dynamic changes if they move a show..even if a show starts late it gets credit from where it was supposed to start.

If you move 60 Minutes to 7pm then essentially you are running the Mentalist at 11pm against local news and the local news now starts at midnight and doesn't get paired with other local news and compared against those in ratings.

I think the easiest thing for CBS to do is to drop a show from Sunday lineup during football season. I would think the Amazing Race.

19. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    yes. I think that would be the best way to handle it. Just run Amazing Race during the NFL off-season.

20. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    The only problem with that is, what do you air in its place in the six weeks during the NFL regular season after the TV season starts that aren't CBS doubleheader days?