1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

next line of hardware

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mcf57, May 6, 2014.

When do you think the next line of TiVo hardware will be introduced.

Poll closed Aug 28, 2015.
  1. 2015

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. 2016

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. 2017

19 vote(s)
    39.6%
  4. TiVo is done with hardware

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. May 6, 2014 #1 of 13
    mcf57

mcf57 New Member

Oct 19, 2012
    GA
    Just curious, but what is the typical amount of time & how many years is it usually between new hardware models by TiVo?

2. May 6, 2014 #2 of 13
    JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    I don't see new hardware at all until the questions regarding CableCard or its replacement are settled.

3. May 6, 2014 #3 of 13
    mcf57

mcf57 New Member

Oct 19, 2012
    GA
    What are the "questions regarding CableCard"? I was not aware this was an issue.

4. May 6, 2014 #4 of 13
    Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    If then?

The Roamio should be able to handle any software based future solution, I should think.

5. May 6, 2014 #5 of 13
    jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I don't see any new hardware by 2017. I'm also not very optimistic about a single CableCard successor by the way things look from the FCC. Unless something changes, it looks like conditional access is heading toward MSO-specific fragmentation.

If your interested in this topic:

CableCARD: TiVo Fights The Good Fight
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=516091

IMPLEMENTATION OF THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT OF 1996. COMMERCIAL AVAILABILITY OF NAVIGATION DEVICES
    http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=97-80

Annual Assessment of the Status of Competition in the Market for the Delivery of Video Programming
    http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=14-16

In the Matter of Compatibility Between Cable Systems and Consumer Electronics Equipment
    http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=00-67

And STELA is ready to repeal the integration ban requiring cable operators to utilize CableCards. STELA is must pass legislation for 2014:

Rev 1 - Prevented FCC from created integration rules
    http://docs.house.gov/meetings/IF/IF16/20140312/101835/BILLS-113pih-STELA.pdf

Rev 2 - Keeps FCC ability for future rules, but eliminates current ban (approved by subcommittee)
    http://democrats.energycommerce.hou...ment-STELA-Act-Discussion-Draft-2014-3-25.pdf

You should be worried about our ability to buy retail navigation boxes in the future. The NCTA and cable operators are advocating technology that would push their proprietary user interfaces on 3rd party hardware clients (DLNA CVP-2). The FCC has stated this technology meets their IP output rules as its an open standard voted on by its members. The downside is the cable industry are the predominate voting members; TiVo is not a DLNA member. I've been unable to find any publicly available information if DLNA CVP-2 will allow TiVo to roll their own interface (and unwilling to pay the 500 bucks for the DLNA Guidelines doc to find out).

6. May 6, 2014 #6 of 13
    buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    If this basically means I will HAVE to use another crappy Comcast cable box in the near future, I just assume drop cable and go with an antenna along with a media streamer like Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire or my current WDTV.

7. May 6, 2014 #7 of 13
    jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Agreed, when my TiVo stops working with cable, I'll stop paying for it. I expect no help with Wheeler driving the FCC.

8. May 6, 2014 #8 of 13
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The next TiVo hardware release may well be set top boxes for cable companies to rent to subscribers rather than anything available for purchase by consumers.

9. May 6, 2014 #9 of 13
    JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    I have a feeling this is more likely than not. Of course TiVo already offers such products, but I think we're in the waning days of retail TiVo hardware

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You kind of can't blame them, with the cable companies making something that works well with their systems such a moving target.

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I voted for 2017, but I also have my doubts.

Perhaps TiVo will make a OTA only DVR that actually has superior streaming abilities if things don't go well with a cable card replacement.

12. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I'd say 2017, as they are on a 4-year refresh cycle, although they've maxxed out the capabilities of what CableCard can do, and the Roamio series is powerful enough to have any features needed added through software updates.

There's not much of an OTA market, so TiVo has to continue with MSO deals, especially if CableCard goes south.

CableCard, however, will be here for a very long time. If CableCard were eliminated tomorrow, Comcast could say goodbye to me, I would get D*, but a decade or more down the road, if CableCard is allowed to be discontinued, the whole landscape will look different anyways, so it's hard to say what I would do. However, I can't imagine providers just dicking customers over by removing CableCard, and QAM-based systems are going to remain the way cable works for the foreseeable future.

13. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I suspect they'll just have to have voice recognition added. Everyone is doing it now.